Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label Invictos

Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label
Invicto
5 x 50 Robusto (NOV 06)

Prelight: Wrapped in a very nice, slightly oily colorado maduro leaf. Evenly colored like dark leather, with only one or two thin veins against an otherwise immaculate wrapper. The head was a very nicely-formed marble-head: perfectly round and the mark of an exceptionally-skilled roller. Draw puffs gave floral-tinged cedar and peppery spice.

Beverage: Four Roses Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Warehouse TN, Barrel 85-5W

Flavor: The first few puffs were a bit bitter and harsh, but this quickly faded and revealed a delicious, full-bodied profile that would persist throughout this cigar.

Medium spice, like hot peppers, an incredibly rich, complex, and smooth flavor of coffee grounds, fragrant leather, lightly grassy with nuances of vanilla and plenty of twang. The aroma cannot be described, just wonderful. Early on, tasting with the bourbon gave a dry wood and strong coffee flavor.

One third in, still very creamy, with the bourbon creating a rich chocolatey flavor.

Two thirds down, more herbal and woody, with the same coffee and leather foundation, tinged with a light, sweet flavor.

The flavor profile was mostly the same throughout with only minor changes, but exceptionally complex and satisfying. Smoked down to a nub.

Construction: Perfect! I should have guessed from the expertly-applied marble-head. Burned straight as an arrow, draw was spot on and produced glorious mouthfuls of smoke, and the ash was a firm-holding, tightly packed, stainless white.

Summary: Good God! Only a year old and this good! Just think what a box of these laid down for a few years could turn into! I've heard that this was the line that the Levins smoked that convinced them to seek out Pepin Garcia to make their new San Cristobal line (haven't tried it yet, but have a Clasico waiting in the humidor, will definitely review it soon). I can't blame them in the least. An exceptional cigar and Garcia should be damn proud to put his name on it. Judging by how skillfully this sample was constructed, I wonder if Don Pepin himself might've rolled this one. Paired excellently with the Four Roses Single Barrel, which is a beautiful bourbon that's mostly exported to Japan, but does sell in its native Kentucky and some surrounding states. I could gush for hours on this cigar, but the bottom line is: go buy some!
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote