Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Here are just few more recently broached bottles of red wine I found very enjoyable...

2006 Pétalos (from the Bierzo region of Spain):
Having so enjoyed the 2005 vintage of this as yet relatively unknown (and hence undervalued) wine, how could I possibly resist the latest vintage to hit the shelves? True to form, the 2006 positively sings focused dark berry fruit (Morello cherries, blackberries, and even perhaps hints of blueberries) on the palate, with a lithe tannic structure, crisp acidity and spicy nuances serving to further highlight the freshly conveyed ripeness. If you haven't tried this one yet, you're missing the early market days of a very, very fine wine (made from the local Mencia grape variety).

2005 Borsao Tres Picos (from the Borsao region of Spain):
Another 'return encounter', with the 2004 vintage having made a mighty impression indeed. Once again, the ripe Garnacha (Grenache) grape-derived richness layers smoothly over the palate. How many Rhone Valley wines in this price range offer a similar degree of concentration, balance and pure pleasure? Not too many, I'd hazard. For me, Tres Picos constitutes one of those 'don't even think, just pick up the bottle' sorts of wines.

2002 Château de Nages Cuvée Joseph Torres (from Costières du Nimes in the south of France):
The 6th consecutive vintage of this wine to pass over my palate! 100% old-growth Syrah just made to satisfy. I've consumed so many bottles of this particular wine that I've lost track. And now I'm eyeing the recently arrived 2003 vintage from that infamous 'hot year'. I'm sure I won't be disappointed!

Now for a 1st-try wine I'd never heard of before...

2005 Magellan Ponant (Vins de pays des Cotes de Thongue - actually from the Languedoc region of southern France):
There's a nice melding of fruit and spice here that immediately attracts. And the texture is quite lovely, with the supporting tannins seamlessly underpinning the primary flavours. Apparently this rather large property underwent a substantial revitalization during the 1960s and 1970s, only to lay abandoned following the owner's passing. Now a new team has resurrected the estate with great success. What's particularly amazing about this wine is its cost - $14.30CDN. Can you say, "House wine?" I can!