Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-08-2002, 03:12 AM   #1
Prof2B
Starting Member

I've recently had occasion to smoke some hefty cigars: churchills, double coronas, and A's. I love the complexity that such large cigars can build up to, but I often find that by the halfway point the buildup of tars or oils can negatively impact the taste.

A buddy of mine suggested "The Blowout." He recommends holding the lit end up to a flame and then gently blowing out. In theory this burns off the undesirable tars and oils that have been building up. He demonstrated, and you can indeed see the flame change colors during the blowout.

I've tried it a couple times and it does indeed seem to work, but the cigar doesn't taste quite the same after a blowout. Maybe I just need to be more gentle with the technique? Do you guys do this with large vitolas? How does one accomplish the ideal blowout? Or get the same results otherwise?

The mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.