Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 08-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
MalkavianX

What're you brewing?

Heads up homebrewers! I wanted to make a thread we can all use both as a brewing journal and a forum for exchanging recipe ideas. If nothing else i plan on keeping this thread updated with my brews as they progress through fermentation, bottling, conditioning and so on, and I may post the wines I have going as well, thhough there's not as much to talk about there.

Anyway feel free to post as much or as little as you like, I'll try not to get TOO technical about what I'm doing, but I want to be as specific as possible so you guys can duplicate my results.

I've done 3 recipes lately, but I only have one of them handy, so that'll have to entertain you while I dig up the paperwork for the others! I've got a chcolate stout, which ill give here, also a pumpkin ale and an Octoberfest

Code:
Name: Double Chocolate Stout
Brewed on: 7-22-06

Fermentables:
6# Light DME

Steeped Grains:
16oz Chocolate malt
4oz Roasted Barley
12oz Flaked barley

Hops:
1oz Northern Brewer hops @ 45minutes (of a 45 min boil)

Extra stuff:
2tsp Irish Moss @ 20 min
6oz Cocoa nibs in secondary for 2 weeks

Yeast: White Labs 004 Irish Ale

Starting Gravity: 1.060
Gravity @ Secondary: 1.020
Terminal Gravity: To be determined

Tasting notes: Yummy coffee-cocoa flavor right out of primary, even before the cocoa nibs were added. After 1wk on the nibs, exhibited a great chocolate aroma and a fuller chocolate taste.
MalkavianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
mojoe
Herf God

I would really like to try home brewing some day...I have looked at some web sites and noticed you can buy all of the equipment in kit form for about 150 bucks. Then there are premade recipes that you can buy too...I sounds a little complicated to me though...
Old 08-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
MalkavianX

It really isn't as hard as it looks. It's just a matter of following the directions till you get the hang of it.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
mojoe
Herf God

how many batches do you spoil before you get it right?
Old 08-07-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
MalkavianX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe
how many batches do you spoil before you get it right?
Out of about a dozen batches i've done, only 2 have come out bad, due to an infection in one case, and contamination in another. Both those situations are preventable, so odds are i juts got careless.

As far as 'getting it right', my first one came out just dandy.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:12 PM   #6
Smogre
Club Member

Keep it clean Mojoe and you won't mess it up. You're first kit beer might suck compared to what you make as you learn more.

I've done well over several hundred gallons and have yet to muck something up too much. (cross fingers)
Old 08-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Smogre
Club Member

Oh yeah and Evan, is this the brew where we talked about how much coffee to add? I think I did 2 cups of weak brewed stuff and you did 6 oz. Put this down on the PIF when it's ready okay. I want to try some of it. I'll send you some of my sunset stout. It's to kill for.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
MalkavianX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smogre
Oh yeah and Evan, is this the brew where we talked about how much coffee to add? I think I did 2 cups of weak brewed stuff and you did 6 oz. Put this down on the PIF when it's ready okay. I want to try some of it. I'll send you some of my sunset stout. It's to kill for.

Duuude. cocoa beans, not coffee beans! Coffee stout comin later, i'm thinking a vanilla coffee stout.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #9
Black Plague
Herf Meister

What am I brewing?

But seriously, sounds like an awesome recipe. Maybe someday I'll get into homebrewing.
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
FSUScotsman
Herf God

As soon as it cools off it's back to the brewing for me!!!!
The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist!!!!
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote