Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2003, 01:27 PM   #1
Bocephus
Club Member

Corona Cigar Co. in Orlando

Just got back from my Florida vacation and it was great! The highlight had to be my visit to Corona Cigar's new shop on Sand Lake Road in Orlando. Mrs. and my son were napping in the car, and I thought I missed closing time there but they were open well past 8 PM on the Wednesday evening. More cigars than I have ever seen in my life! Something like 1.5 million in stock. Lots of great stuff. Even some pre-embargo Habanos they had for sale that were acquired at an auction!

Cozy cigar bar there, with raised tables with stools as you come in and another adjacent area with regular tables close to the bar. Custom Corona chairs around the flat screen. Almost all cigars are displayed in the open, and there is ample staff to help you with your selection. Humidifiers mist the shop, and the sweet aromas envelope you when you walk in.

Xikar cutters, Vector lighters, Swiss Army cutters rounded out the accessory section, but they weren't the lowest priced or the largest selection available. (The big Vector old fashioned can style was $100). I was able to decide on a nice Xikar Xi on my second visit. The staff had a lot of patience with me as I went back and forth trying to decide on a model and color. I can see the difference from the Xi and the Xi2 now after trying out a bunch. The Xi (I think that is the model, it was around $63) has a much nicer "snap" to it when you click it open. The cheaper Xi2 (around $39) was mushy, with a much less satisfying switchblade type action. It was like you had to push the button to make it open, rather than the button releasing the blades. I found one that snapped open cleanly, but half the time it wouldn't lock shut! This was a brand new one, too! So I avoided those and got the one with the adjustment screw on the release button. Much more entertaining to use. And what a nice, clean, crisp cut! So much nicer than the cheapo Csonka I've been using.

Highlight of the visit to Corona Cigar was definitely meeting AVO UVEZIAN himself!! He was hanging around the store and it blew me away that he was there! Still kicking myself really hard for leaving the camera at the hotel, but who woulda thunk?! He was such an amazing man to meet, and I didn't have enough time to visit with him as Mrs. Bo had had it with me being in there for an hour and came to fetch me abruptly halfway through the AVO 22 Mr. Uvezian had presented to me. More on that.

Avo (ah - voe) told me about the Avo 22 and how he had named it for his birthday, March 22 and I told him that was my birthday as well! He said he knew it was, as he is psychic. His great grandfather (paternal) was a famous psychic in Lebanon. He told me he knew when he looked at me that I was an Aries and my birthday was March 22, and that was no BS as he does not lie (and I believe him as we Aries are very honest haha!). He was born 30 years before me, and he celebrated his 77th this year when I turned 47.

Avo is an accomplished musician. His father, who passed away when Avo was 16 was a symphony conductor. Avo studied at Juilliard, and was a successful jazz musician for many years before his cigar career.

Anyways, the AVO 22 is a fantastic smoke! I went on a Habanos thing this summer, trying to "get it" and before I knew it, I was lost to the dark side. But after smoking the AVO 22, it became one of those "if I could only have one cigar to smoke from now on" choices! It's a Dominican, but nothing like any other Dominican I've smoked, besides the power. It is a perfecto, and after snipping my second one, I almost lit the wrong end, because they look so similar once cut! The draw is perfect, with lots of smoke available each single puff. The sensation on the tongue is tingly, and the flavors, complex, delicious, and balanced. Unique, delicious flavor! Unfortunately, the AVO 22 is limited and no longer produced, so if you can get your hands on any of these sticks, try one! Even at $12 US per stick, they are well worth the premium price as they are a level of magnitude better than say, a good CAO! (almost sacrilege to say so, but I'll stick to my words - and I really like the CAOs).

Well that sortof covers my trip to Corona Cigar, gotta go get Romeo from the kennel.

Make sure you visit Corona Cigar in Orlando if you ever get down there, it's a must see kinda place!
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote