Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

3 superlative singles from a lost distillery...

Clynelish Distillery may live on and thrive nextdoor, but the single malts from the old, closed Brora site remain uniquely delicious. I figured I had better carry out a comparative tasting of the three I have at hand before they disappear from the cabinet...

Brora 20 Year Old Rare Malts Selection, Distilled 1982 & Bottled 2003 – 58.1%

Colour: Full luminescent gold.
Nose: A surging fragrance of sweet and sour tropical fruit and salt, the smoke puffing through in much more minutely measured bursts than is the norm.
Palate: Lightly viscous texture. The overture of ripe papaya, which becomes almost mango-like with the addition of a little water, is deftly held in check by citrus notes, the emergence of drying oak, a tantallizing touch of brine and demure smoke. A hint of barley husks subtly permeated by machine oils lurks amidst the mid palate sensation of malt grist, generating nut overtones. But the sweetness remains astounding and peristent, even managing to rebound to prominence on the finish.
Assessment: Not the full dosage of that unique peat quality one might expect in a vintage Brora, perhaps. The vibrancy is captivating, nonetheless.
Summary: Stands on its own merits as yet one more expressive closing chapter in the annals of a lost distillery.

Brora 19 Year Old Douglas Laing Old Malt Cask Series, Distilled 1981 & Bottled 2000 – 50%

Colour: Full gold with a touch of amber.
Nose: Honeyed tones infuse every grain of salt and whiff of peat smoke with a ripe fruit quality.
Palate: Mouth-clinging texture. The Sherry cask influence is immediately apparent, and lends considerable roundness. Wine-wood holds back the reservoir of brine and smoke-laden spirit, but only momentarily, making for a nice twist of taste from the mid point toward the long finish.
Assessment: An elegant single-cask Brora that only minimally subdues the innate, piercing coastal characteristics in order to convey a more velvety persona.
Summary: Dense, balanced and pleasurable.

Brora 21 Year Old Rare Malts Selection, Distilled 1977 & Bottled 1998 – 56.9%

Colour: Full luminescent gold. Practically indistinguishable from that of the 1982.
Nose: Gentle breezes of crusted seashore brine and industrial smoke wafting over sweet field grasses and lush malt. Some faint floral scents as well. Very focused.
Palate: Oily, almost creamy texture. Difficult to differentiate between the pulsations of malt, salt and smoke, so tightly bound are they. The sugared fruit sweetness is handily countered by spicy oak and coal-like peat, while dashes of pepper add further warmth.
Assessment: About as smoky an edition of Brora as one is likely to encounter these days, with the peat-reek seeping into every corner of the proceedings.
Summary: Hedonistically harmonious. Appetizer, main course and dessert all in one. A classic.