Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #1
Shape

Keeping humidity lower...

I've had a Lincoln Humidor for several years now... Come to think of it, it's been about 4, Time goes quick... Seems like only yesterday I bought this box. But, anyway, it has been holding it's humidity rock solid at 70-71% through the years.

During Katrina it was in a house with no power for two weeks and the temp in that humidor definately got 90+ degrees. I got the humidor back and thought everything was perfectly fine. Filled the humidifier, checked the hygrometer, and there it has sat.

Well, a few weeks ago, I don't know why, but I took the top tray out and looked at the bottom... mold... I'm guessing it was caused during the time it spent in the house with no power since temps inside were probably 100 degrees plus extreme humidity. The mold was on a very limited area in the box. I'd guess covering about 5 square inches on the bottom of the tray and it got ONE cigar through a slot in the tray. Nother else had mold on it.

I took everything out of it, cleaned the tray off with alcohol, wiped the cigar with mold on it off ( and smoked it a couple days later... Seemed to have been just on the surface and didn't effect the taste ), and cleaned up the humidifier.

For the last few weeks it has been sitting at around 72-75 degrees (yeah, my apt is warm but it has been around 62-64% humidity for the past few weeks. I'm guess it's because it's trying to rehumidify everything since I did have stuff out of the humidor with it open for a few days during the mold incident.

The question is... How do I keep the humidity around this level?

My cigars are smoking better with a more even burn than they were before. I'd usually be smoking and they'd kind of flounder half-way through or need to be relit a few times. These babies are burning NICE!...