Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
otto_sear

La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or No. 2

Last Saturday, I had the rare opportunity to visit a local market district with my wife, who loves to hit every Italian deli, bakery, and ethnic food shop on the strip. I tend to gravitate to other areas.

I found the local coffee/cigar lounge and pulled out a Medaille D'Or No. 2 that had been resting in my humidor for the last six months. The box date was OSU JUN 02. Although they have always smelled terrific, the first few samples from the varnished box were a bit bland, or else I failed to pick up on the subtleties. Either way, I was a bit disappointed.

Saturday was a far different experience. As with the others, this cigar displayed some veins, smelled of chocolate, and was well-constructed. After making a clean cut with my trusty Solingen scissors, I toasted the foot and lit it without incident. The burn was even, the ash almost white with small black slits. The draw was very easy and produced large plumes of smoke, larger than before.

The first half of the cigar tasted almost entirely of cocoa and then, for a brief period, of toast. Shortly thereafter, the cigar required a touch-up; when the even burn resumed, it became spicy and harsh. The fact that my coffee has cooled considerably at this point was actually a benefit to me, as it cooled my mouth and counterbalanced the kick. I finally had to put it down and get out of there. I found my wife, who suggested that we go to a gourmet chocolate shop across the street. It was a good day.

otto_sear is offline   Reply With Quote