Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
AnejoMofo
Club Member

Port Help

Dear fellow dipsomaniacs,

I'm interested in Port both to expand my wine horizons and because it keeps fairly well after opening. My first venture into the world of Port was Cockburn's Special Reserve. For a cheap-ass Port it had a very interesting flavor. Unfortunately, it was unbelievably sweet. I'm talking Coca-Cola sweet, possibly sweeter. I would like to know if this is normal for Port and I would like suggestions for much, much drier Port. I tend to gravitate toward the drier side of libations in general. Help would be appreciated. I'm also basically looking to spend under $20/bottle. Thanks, all.

-Mike
"Always have cigars; the rest you can fix." -Ernesto Padilla
_______
RIP Cubano67
AnejoMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Port is sweet. White port may be drier.

Maybe you need to look into Sherry instead. Fortified so it keeps, and can be dry. Get the real stuff from Spain...

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Two styles of White Port generally... The more 'traditional' leaning toward greater sweetness while the more 'modern' version veers toward the dryness of an apéritif Sherry such as a Fino. The first should be served slightly cool, the latter well chilled.

Most Red Ports will tend toward overt sweetness, especially the Ruby, Late Bottled Vintage, Vintage Character, Crusted and Vintage ones. The pronounced contribution of cask maturation in Tawny Port transforms the fruit component of the fortified wine from the ripe berry/grape spectrum to a more fig/raisin range of flavours, often adding nut and toffee overtones. A good 20-year old Tawny can make for a less ostentatiously sweet pour.

Sherry is an excellent alternative, particularly if you're craving a drier drink. Dry Amontillados and Dry Olorosos abound in the marketplace. Fino Sherry is usually very dry... Serve it well chilled.

And then there's Madeira. A good Sercial or Verdelho can be a revelation! Look for at least a 5-year old.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
rockace521
Herf God

Producers actually introduce alcohol into the fermenting wine to stop fermentation early so the sugars won't all convert into alcohol, locking in the residual sweetness. Everyone doesn't get into port because it's sweet, especially since the current perception is "sweet equals bad." Anyone who's ever had a good auslese riesling or even a decent Sauternes knows that this just isn't true. It's just a modern popular convention of some wine snobs that sweet wines are bad wines.

Also remember that Port isn't intended to be drunk in a big wine glass like a cabernet or a white, it's meant to be sipped and enjoyed in smallish proportions compared with regular wine. It's possible to enjoy a nice quality port in small portions, and actually revel in its sweetness. Sweet is one of our favorite tastes, it's unfortunate that it has such a bad connotation in alcoholic beverages.

Aside from that, ditto the suggestion of sherry (just not the creme sherry, if you don't like sweet). Also avoid the Pedro Ximenez at all costs.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #5
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockace521 View Post
Everyone doesn't get into port because it's sweet, especially since the current perception is "sweet equals bad." Anyone who's ever had a good auslese riesling or even a decent Sauternes knows that this just isn't true.
A pair of the world's finest table wines in a sweeter vein. The key here is the balanced interplay between exceptionally ripe fruit and a solid acidic backdrop. These two characteristics soften and meld with age, thereby creating a complexity of flavour that can be astounding.

Quote:
It's possible to enjoy a nice quality port in small portions, and actually revel in its sweetness. Sweet is one of our favorite tastes, it's unfortunate that it has such a bad connotation in alcoholic beverages.
The classic food pairing for those sweeter, fruit-driven Ports is Stilton (or alternatively, Gorgonzola or Roquefort). The pronounced saltiness of these cheeses counterpoints, and thereby highlights, the rich sweetness of Port, providing a dynamic palate sensation. With a Tawny Port, you're best to pair the fortified wine with dried fruits and nuts or, perhaps, fresh figs.

Quote:
Also avoid the Pedro Ximenez at all costs.
Or book a fast appointment with your dentist.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
casual
Club Member

I think the sweetness of a port-style pairs well with cigars. I mostly drink port-styles with a cigar.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
crossbow
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznut View Post
Two styles of White Port generally... The more 'traditional' leaning toward greater sweetness while the more 'modern' version veers toward the dryness of an apéritif Sherry such as a Fino. The first should be served slightly cool, the latter well chilled.

Most Red Ports will tend toward overt sweetness, especially the Ruby, Late Bottled Vintage, Vintage Character, Crusted and Vintage ones. The pronounced contribution of cask maturation in Tawny Port transforms the fruit component of the fortified wine from the ripe berry/grape spectrum to a more fig/raisin range of flavours, often adding nut and toffee overtones. A good 20-year old Tawny can make for a less ostentatiously sweet pour.

Sherry is an excellent alternative, particularly if you're craving a drier drink. Dry Amontillados and Dry Olorosos abound in the marketplace. Fino Sherry is usually very dry... Serve it well chilled.

And then there's Madeira. A good Sercial or Verdelho can be a revelation! Look for at least a 5-year old.
My very introduction to Madeira was in your capable hands Jazznut!! Let me take the opportunity to thank you once again.