Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
DraKhen99

Multiple-Cooler Humidification

OK, this may be out there, but I just came up with a way to cool multiple humidors from one source.

I am currently considering either getting another 58 qt. cooler to go with my current one [one for aging and one for daily smokes], or getting a larger one for all my smokes.

Either way, I may build this and put it to good use.

The Source
The idea is to take a tupperware container and drop in crystal sticks [you can use an Oasis, etc., whatever you prefer], and have two tubes sticking out of the tupperware [sealed with hot glue probably]. One will be for intake, and one output.

The Secondary
The output will then go to a smaller tupperware container which will have one opening on the intake side, and multiple ones on the output side, which will allow configurations up to say, 10 coolers or so.

Individual Cooler Humidification
Each of the output tubes from the Secondary will go into the top, side, or bottom of an individual cooler, hence providing it with humidified air.

The Collector
The Collector is simply another small tupperware container with multiple input holes [matching the number of coolers being humidified], and one output tube.

Recirculation System
There will be an output tube running from the Individual cooler back to The Collector. This will then provide The Source with air, for a complete circulatory system.

The Motivators
In The Source, The Collector, and The Secondary, there will be one or multiple fans, powered by a power source - right now I'm thinking 12 volt rechargeable DC. They are 5v fans, with the proper resistor for each one inline. There will be a power distribution box which hooks directly to the battery, with inline fuses and approximately 20 quick-connects [Deans Plugs], which you can plug fans into. This will allow quick replacement of fans, should they wear out.

The system will be designed for constant running, and should run for about a month or so before the battery needs recharging.

Total cost [USD]:

Battery - $20 - 40, depending on amp hour capacity
Fans - $20 - 50 [total, for 10, depending on where I can get them]
Tubing $20 [should get me enough flexible, transparent tubing at Home Depot?]
Tupperware containers - $10 - 12 [total, since they're about $3 or $4 each, and you need three of them]

Total: $70 - $122, depending on the variables listed above.

What do you all think??? Am I nuts, or onto something?

And as an aside, should I get a bigger [100 qt or so] cooler, or another 58qt?

-John

"He found the edge of the Cigar Cliff and just JUMPED off" - My friend, in reference to my quick escalation from non-smoker to cigar aficianado.
DraKhen99 is offline   Reply With Quote