Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
JDHerfer

Fonseca Sun Grown Cedar

I was lucky enough to be chosen for the Fonseca reviews for Cigar Magazine. This is the review of my favorite of the seven:

This is 5x52, Connecticut Broadleaf sun-grown wrapper. MSRP $6.05.

The Fonseca Sun-Grown Cedar No. 3 is a magnificent cigar. It was a stunning looking cigar, with a deep brown wrapper that was flawless with an oily sheen. There were no problems with a clean and sharp punch.

The aroma of the cigar was outstanding, with the cedar wrapper magnifying the impression of tobacco that had been aged for a long time after being drenched in sunlight. I live in Connecticut and pass the tobacco fields regularly, and the drying sheds provide aromatherapy for cigar lovers in the immediate area. This cigar takes me to those fields on a summer day with a slight breeze (upwind from my nostrils, of course). If a scent can be “delicious,” this cigar has a delicious scent. It literally made my mouth water.

The taste was consistent throughout the length of the cigar with no harshness. The expected sun-grown zestiness was present and enhanced a rich, cedary flavor, with an agreeable after-taste. I have a hard time tasting some of the flavors one reads about in some magazines, but I swear I detected a hint of leather in the smoke. The cigar took a light well and burned consistently, with a strong ash and lovely luxurious smoke. It would go very well with an earthy scotch, bold bourbon, or even a cold glass of Guinness.

All in all, the Fonseca Sun-Grown Cedar No. 3 was an outstanding, upper tier cigar capable of slugging it out with smokes much more expensive or even grown on some island south of Miami. I would grade it as:

Appearance 5+ (out of 5)
Burn 5 (out of 5)
Draw 5 (out of 5)
Aroma 5 (out of 5)
Taste 8 (out of 10)
Flavor 8 (out of 10)
Overall Quality 9 (out of 10)

TOTAL 45 (out of 50)

Superior cigar. I would highly recommend these.

Let me know what you think of the review and if I should post the other six.

John
JDHerfer is offline   Reply With Quote