Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Tatuaje Regional Edition, East Coast (Exclusivo Zona Del Est

This is the second of two Tatuaje regional releases that I've had the opportunity to try, having received this one from Pete Johnson himself at RTDA. Measuring in at 5.5 x 54, this is a little shorter and a little thicker than the West Coast edition that I reviewed earlier.

I should note from the outset that I've said a number of times that I'm not a fan of really big RG cigars. Although I found this one to be very good, its proportions compared to the West Coast regional seemed a bit awkward. By that I mean that the greater length of the West Coast edition seemed to better match its 52RG, while the East Coast edition's 5.5 inch length made the 54RG seem rather excessive. That is admittedly a personal preference thing, but it did influence the way I perceived the cigar.

The dark wrapper on this specimen was absolutely gorgeous - virtually no veins, smooth, and bearing a light sheen of oil. The bunch was firm and uniform, no less so than all other Tatuajes I've smoked; an indication of the skill of a very talented roller. Expertly-applied triple cap, double red & white band.

The pre-light flavors were stronger than the West Coast I smoked at RTDA, a little peppery, tingly on the tongue, promises of good things to come. Again, the draw was just a touch more open that I prefer, but still very good for a big RG cigar.

First third: Opened cleanly with flavors of pepper, spice, cocoa, and perhaps a touch of leather. The immediate impression was of slightly deeper body than the West Coast, although the blends are supposedly the same. Draw and burn pretty close to perfect, with a firm, smooth, light gray ash.

Second third: The body deepened and the flavors intensified a bit, but remained more consistent that in the West Coast edition. The complexity was there, it just didn't seem to shift as much. A little unevenness in the burn developed at a couple of points, but nothing serious.

Final third: Much like the middle third, with the flavors remaining pretty consistent. Interestingly, as I eventually pitched the 1" nub, I realized that I had smoked the entire cigar without purging it at all. That's not typical for me, and was an indication that the cigar never got hot, or bitter, or tight. The finish is long and pleasant.

Overall, an excellent cigar, although I would have to say that I prefer the West Coast addition. That may have a lot to do with the dimensions of the two cigars, but both are products in which Pete Johnson and Don Pepin Garcia can take justifiable pride. Highly recommended.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote