Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 PM   #1
ConMan
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Opus X Fuente Fuente

Fuente Fuente OpusX Fuente Fuente
5 5/8 x 46 Corona

Let me start off by saying that this cigar was a generous gift from PCaponi a while ago... probably a year plus. Thank you, Phil

Prelight and appearance: You wouldn't believe it unless you could see it - sorry, no digital camera tonight. Dark. Rugged. Almost ugly. A few prominent veins. A rugged wrap around the head of the cigar. The foot was almost box pressed; but, the remainder of the cigar was in the round. The kicker, though, is that this cigar was COVERED in an almost crystal like substance . Now I've dusted off plum before.... but I've never seen crystals like this. Quite frankly, they were almost impossible to brush off and along a few of the prominent veins, there was no way it was all coming off The band is almost yellow. Draw was excellent, which, honestly, I was a bit worried about. A small snip only off the head of the cigar. Smooth aged tobacco, with expected spice notes.

Beverage: Lipton Brisk Diet Iced Tea with ice.

Flavor: In a word. Excellent. Initial offering out of the gate was an extremely SMOOTH yet powerful spice. But the smoothness was unbelievable. No rough edges. Billows of smoke. Cayenne pepper, cinnamon spice notes. Dare I say a sweetness that comes to the forefront of the corona. Mild chili powder notes... .sort of paprikaish. Nasal exhale is not only possible; but, due to the smoothness of the cigar, I've been able to do it often It produces that sweetness. The sweetness is in the very long finish... after the cinnamon leaves my tongue In the middle of the cigar, the cayenne is mixed with that cracked black pepper taste... the pepper takes over the finish from the sweet. The finish is long but not unpleasant from the spices. This cigar is STRONG The inch and a half past the middle was a real ass kicker.... but I'm surprised at how smooth and... dare I say, creamy, the end of this cigar was. And just when I was getting a bit tired of that strong spice part so associated with this line. An unbelievable smooth and creamy end to this cigar that came out of nowhere.

Construction: Very good. But it's not a pretty cigar. It's rather ugly It's hard... solid. Zero soft spots. As mentioned in the summary... a few prominent veins. The burn is very good. It's steady, but it's burning on a diagonal. I'm tempted to correct it; but, it continues to burn on the same degree, so I've left it alone. Past the half way point it corrected itself. Resistence is perfect. Ash is snow white. It's firm but not completely solid. I knock it off every 3/4 inch without worry of it affecting burn quality.

Summary: I don't know what prompted me to pull this cigar off the top shelf of my large desktop tonight. I'd been saving it for a special occassion or somthing. It had all those crystals on it!!! I had a difficult day. Not a bad day; but, I wanted to kick back and really focus on a cigar. I'd been contemplating selling my Opus stock. I've not a ton; but, I have a few. The only one's I seemed to really enjoy were the xXx's. Perhaps I was trying to convince myself to keep these around for a while. Besides, the bands are pretty cool

I couldn't have been happier with this cigar. It hit the spot. An excellent, strong, smooth, well rounded and complex cigar.

Thanks again, Phil