Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
TheSaint
Club Member

EO Panama Red blend #5

Size: Torpedo 7 X 52
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan and Panamanian (hence Panama Red)

Pre-light: EO's "Bundle in a box" cigar, Panama Red is a medium filler budget cigar($30 for 25). I has one UGLY wrapper; splotchy, wrinkled and it looks like the roller "stretched" it to make it fit and it didn't quite work. It has a very odd aroma, I can't even begin to describe it. They claim it to be med-full, but it looks and smells light.

First impressions: Very thin and some what fragile wrapper, ash is flaky but a beautiful white. The burn so far is good, a little rocky at first, but it corrected itself quickly. Mild in body, flavors are creamy and woody.

Halftime: Still has a decent burn which I didn't expect since its medium filler. The woody flavor has moved to a spicy creamy mix. Now I'm starting to understand why they called it med-full, its moving up the scale quickly.

The finish: The burn finished even, with quite a bit of flaking. Medium-full to full bodied; spicy, creamy and damn tasty. I burned this one down to the nub.

Summary: I was a bit skeptical about this cigar, but I was very impressed. Decent construction, great flavor and for a little more than a buck a stick this ones a keeper.

The Saint's Halo Chart:
Construction: 6 halos out of 10
Flavor: 7 halos out of 10
Value: 8 halos out of 10