Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
N99
Herf Meister

Andretti Cigars Robusto Natural

I thought I would jot down a review right after smoking the Andretti Robusto (Natural) that Ben of Pacific Cigar Co. most graciously provided me for sampling.

First off the tube, nicely sealed with an o-ring for freshness, nice thick acrylic with labeling. Upon opening I detect a sweet smell, almost a sugary smell mingling with the tobacco. I wonder if its flavored? The cigar has a peice of wrapper on the foot of the cigar closing off the foot. I assume to keep the foot from cracking inside the tube. Pacific seems to have thought this out pretty carefully. The cigar is kind of lumpy and has a big 'ol vein running down the length of the cigar, not really pretty, but ya don't smoke pretty.

I cut and did a prelight draw and got a sweet taste, but not like the cap is sweetened, just a very sweet tobacco like taste. It reminds me a lot of the old Vega Talanga Tercio aged cigars in the old palm bark wrapped bundles, but its too sweet. The draw is tight, but that is to be expected with a wrapper over the foot! The cigar lights well and even, the draw opens up some and I get a nutty wrapper flavor. If this isn't a Conn. Shade wrapper, it sure tastes like one. I haven't looked to see if it is or not. The sweetness comes through with the nuttyness, not bad, but I really don't get any other flavors than those at first.

Burn started crooked but evened out after a half inch or so and the ash was firm and conical, well rolled. The draw is still a bit tight but opens up some more when I knock the ash off after an inch. The flavors of conn. shade wrapper and a cloying sweetness really don't do it for me, but there was a lot of flavor in the cigar, and a little strength. I would say just south of medium. At the halfway point I got a little bitterness around the edges and the nuttyness started to fade, so I purged the cigar and that took some of the bitterness down, but it came back a bit later and I put the cigar down at about 2/3 smoked. The underlying sweetness faded some and that bitter edge really was a strange combination. Did I say this cigar reminded me a lot of the old Vega Talanga Tercio? The difference being the old Vega Talanga had less sweetness and more strength, with some of the nuttiness and a bit of a twang. Anyway, it would not surprise me at all if MATASA had something to do with this cigar (I know Manuel Quesada does a lot of tercio aging). Finish is long and mainly a brazil nut type flavor.

Overall I would rate this cigar a 7 out of 10. I found it interesting, but not something I would regularly smoke.

Again, thanks to Ben at Pacific Cigar for the opportunity to sample and review his cigars.

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)

Last edited by N99; 04-27-2009 at 06:52 PM.
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote