Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #1
LakeTex

How do I make a latte?

I've been drinking latte's lately and I think I've found my coffee bliss. I don't need high end. Heck, I drink Sam's club member mark coffee at home, and Starducks Cafe Verona when I want something a little harder. How do I make a quick, simple, at home latte in the mornings?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
casual
Club Member

I have no idea, but a quick search yielded this...

http://www.drinkingcoffee247.com/200...reat-latte.php

Looks like you need an espresso machine. Or...........

I also found this... Poor Man's Latte

http://www.faerye.net/content.php?id=548
Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #3
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Latte simply means "milk" in Italian. Technically, any coffee with milk is caffé latte. But Starbucks and other places have codified what they consider latte, cappucino (1 portion of espresso with steam-frothed milk) then differing terms for more milk in the mix.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #4
otto_sear

You will need an espresso machine with milk frothing device, ground espresso, a small metal jug and a temperature guage, shot glasses, and milk.

Make a shot or two of espresso.

Pour milk into metal jug and stick gauge in there.

Insert frother into milk jug and turn on frother.

Watch as temperature of milk steadily rises.

* tip: to create froth and make the milk heat up faster, dip the jug a bit, placing the frother near the top of the milk. Do not pull the frother completely out of the milk while the frother is running, however, as this will cause extremely hot milk to shoot out all over your hand, which is no fun.

When milk reaches desired temp, turn off frother.

Pour espresso into coffee mug. Fill with hot milk. If you want to top it off with the hot milk froth, spoon it in there. Add Hershey's chocolate syrup to the espresso first if you want to make it a "mocha."

There you go, instructions from a former Barrista who worked the counter one summer at a pretty good coffee shop in Pittsburgh.
otto_sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto_sear
You will need an espresso machine with milk frothing device, ground espresso, a small metal jug and a temperature guage, shot glasses, and milk.

Make a shot or two of espresso.

Pour milk into metal jug and stick gauge in there.

Insert frother into milk jug and turn on frother.

Watch as temperature of milk steadily rises.

* tip: to create froth and make the milk heat up faster, dip the jug a bit, placing the frother near the top of the milk. Do not pull the frother completely out of the milk while the frother is running, however, as this will cause extremely hot milk to shoot out all over your hand, which is no fun.

When milk reaches desired temp, turn off frother.

Pour espresso into coffee mug. Fill with hot milk. If you want to top it off with the hot milk froth, spoon it in there. Add Hershey's chocolate syrup to the espresso first if you want to make it a "mocha."

There you go, instructions from a former Barrista who worked the counter one summer at a pretty good coffee shop in Pittsburgh.
What he said. I would suggest getting espresso beans (from whatever company you decide, personally I recommend Starbucks....*blantant plug!*)
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
LakeTex

Quote:
You will need an espresso machine with milk frothing device.
Anyone with any experience with machines under $100? I dont want to kill the budget here, but I don't want to buy crap either. Btw, i like the poor man's latte. I dont think I'd do that at a coffee house, but I'd consider it at home!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
dylanh
Club Member

moka pot? Might get you close enough to the espresso. Need something to froth the milk, but you can get that cheaper than an espresse machine, i imagine.

dylan

"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way."

- Robert Frost

"He not busy being born is busy dying."

- Bob Dylan

"Hell is boiling over. Heaven is full. We're chained to the world....and we've all got to pull."

-Tom Waits
dylanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
otto_sear

From coffeegeek.com:

"The Briel Lido is an inexpensive "starter" espresso machine, featuring a pump, thermoblock, and a froth aider."

Cost: $130

Most users said this was the bare minimum for making decent espresso at home. Most people indicated that you are better off to spend $200, which will get you a considerably better machine. HTH

google "espresso machines ratings"
otto_sear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #9
H311oLHD
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTex
Quote:
You will need an espresso machine with milk frothing device.
Anyone with any experience with machines under $100? I dont want to kill the budget here, but I don't want to buy crap either. Btw, i like the poor man's latte. I dont think I'd do that at a coffee house, but I'd consider it at home!
At one point I hooked up a botl with one for a great price..but unless you find a sale, you're not going to get a decent one under $100. You'll find a good coffee maker at that price, but not an espresso machine. There are some that cost wayyyy more than $1,000 lol. My store (Starbucks) sells one for $1,300 !!
Rest In Peace Cubano.
Charter Member, MCLC
“Making others green with envy”™
H311oLHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
LakeTex

Man, those guys are hardcore!!!

Quote:
Hey all,

Newbie wants to buy an espresso machine;
Newbie wants to learn to use espresso machine well;
Newbie wants to use espresso machine eventually for weekly gatherings (@2 hours each);

Looking for a machine under 2k that will allow a newbie to learn on and able to make the various drinks for small gatherings of 20-30 people @ twice /wk. Machine will be moved to various sites and should be 110v.

Haven't chosen a grinder yet, but it will be quality for sure.

Thanks all. I'm learning so much from the threads, articles and reviews. I started in the home roasting forum and have been vortexed into the world of espresso now.
Newbie = under 2K...

I think maybe one of those Gaggia machines is the way to go.