Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
jazznut
Managing Editor Emeritus
Herf God

Rocky Patel 'ITC' 10th Anniversary Robusto

It's Canada Day (July 1st) north of the 49th today and, as has become a tradition, I find myself celebrating the bounty of summer with family and friends in the Muskoka lake district of southern Ontario. The lifestyle here is, no matter the frenetic level of activity or lack thereof, always satisfying.

Yesterday afternoon, I kicked back on the deck beneath the white and blue patched sky and lit up a Rocky Patel ITC 10th Anniversary Robusto that had been gifted to me by a kind fellow CWer. Unfortunately, I cannot recall who that thoughtful individual was. Karl? Dan? At any rate, many many thanks to you!

This Robusto was visually stunning, its rich walnut brown Colorado wrapper positively glistening in the sunlight. Subdued veins, nicely textured tooth and elegant double bands added to the impression of quality.

The compactness of roll seemed exceptionally dense at the head and less so at the foot, where a healthy quantity of burnt umber ligero was readily apparent amidst the accompanying Van Dyke brown to creamed coffee toned leaves.

The ITC exhibited exemplary combustion characteristics, its very finely grained and solid ash leaving a blunted cone in its wake as I tapped it off every inch or so.

The alluring aroma spoke of sweet leather-laced embering tobacco.

My initial sensation upon setting fire to the Robusto was of smooth, medium to medium-full bodied toasted tobacco tinged with the earthy sweetness of roasted Ethiopian coffee beans.

An incredibly velvety textural quality flowed through the mid portion of the smoke even as the toastiness of the core tobacco taste grew more pronounced. The rounded and integrated flavour profile enveloped overtones of musk as well as faint notes of plum preserve, though the tobacco persisted front and center.

Towards the finish, coffee and pepper nuances emerged to embellish the overall effect.

All in all, the ITC 10th Anniversary Robusto proved its worth, and it paired very well with my pour of Balvenie 1993 Port Wood.

Fully realizing that some have been rather critical of this Rocky Patel line, I have searched hard for any shortcomings. Save for a slight lack of dynamic flavour shift, I have come up short. On this occasion, at any rate, the cigar performed superbly.

Hope everyone is passing a fine summer so far. Now it's time to 'get back to the cottage action'.