Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Mayimbe Torpedo by A.J. Fernandez

This is a cigar I received in a batch from Ringo. I've read some stuff praising A.J. Fernandez, but really know nothing about the materials he works with. So this is another essentially blind review.

The band says: Mayimbe A.J. Fernandez Esteli, Nicaragua.
This is a really great looking cigar. The wrapper is dark brown, smooth and glossy. It is really well rolled. I forgot to whiff the foot as I was ready to get smoking. I cut off a good portion of the point, checked the draw and it was fine. No more work needed here.
I lit the foot with a match and puffed a bit. The initial flavor had bitter undertones that I found a bit off putting. But I've been smoking a fair number of cigars in the last year and realize that sometimes it's worth the effort to see if a flavor like that will fade. It does exactly that a good portion of the time. And that's what happened in this case. After an inch and a half or so the bitterness faded and the true flavor of the cigar started to come out. In the first half of the cigar I had a hard time identifying that flavor. I'm not great with the nuances of flavor. And this was something unusual I hadn't tasted before. I wouldn't have thought it was Nicaraguan. Or at least not all Nicaraguan.
The Burn was even and steady. The ash stayed together and was white, dark gray with some light brown. Knocking off the ash revealed a cone that stayed centered for the entire smoke. Again, not typical of what I see in my usual Nicaraguan smokes. This is a very well made cigar.
At about the halfway point the flavor started to intensify. I tasted a smooth cocoa flavor. Nearer the end I even thought of it as tasting a bit chocolatey.
Initially I thought this cigar wasn't for me. But well into it I was really starting to like it. I'd be interested in trying this brand in a corona gorda.
I'm rating it a 7 of 10. If the first have had been better I'd have rated it higher.

Epilogue: A search shows this as a limited edition cigar. The wrapper is a broad leaf from Pennsylvania. The filler is Nicaraguan and Honduran (Hah! I knew it!).
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote