Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
wattsd

Cheap Humidification

I have been playing around with a "new" product that is both cheap and easy to find. It appears to be identical with the humi-gel type humidifiers out there now but cost, way, way less.

The original packaging I saw it in was made by a company called "Soil Moist", but I know Miracle Grow makes one too. Basically they are the dehydrated crystals called crosslinked polyacrylamides. I bought a 3 oz bag of them and only used about 1/2 oz for my cooler. They soak up a TON of water and appear to maintain about 70 RH. I actually prefer my sticks to be around 60-65RH so I didn't totally load mine up with water.

They also soak up 50/50 distilled water and propylene glycol easily if you are prone to that mix. (you can get a gallon of medical grade propylene glycol at any farm store that supplies for sheep/cattle for like $10)

The Heartfelt beads are much cleaner to use because this gel material can be messy if you don't contain it right.

I haven't done a complete "cycle" with these yet meaning, they haven't totally dried up where I need to add more water to them yet but so far they work great.

The 3oz package was $5 at a hardware/plant store.

If you are thinking about buying the containers with gel in them for humidification purpose...try these first.

I have also seen the traditional style beads too but they were a bit more expensive than what you can get them for at heartfelt industries. (unless you can find a whole sale)

just thought I would share.

I hope everyone is celebrating Jesus' erection tomorrow. I heard it was a doozy

wattsd is offline   Reply With Quote