Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
Black Plague
Herf Meister

Any Soundgarden/Audioslave fans in the house?

I probably one of the most dedicated Soundgarden fans ever, and also love most of the other Seattle area and alternative bands (and I mean the early to mid 90's alternative, not this crappy pop-punk shite that alternatives become associated with), such as Alice in Chains, Meat Puppets, STP, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, and to a lesser extent Nirvana (I think Nirvana's a bit over-rated, but I still enjoy much of their stuff).

I especially have learned to love Temple of the Dog, the one-time-deal between Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron of Soundgarden and Jeff Ament, Stone Gossard, Mike McCready, and Eddy Veder, which for those of you who didn't know, was a tribute to the deceased Andy Wood, singer of the early grunge band Mother Love Bone, whom Cornell had been roommates with and whom Gossard and Ament were in Mother Love Bone with. Over my winter break, I cranked that album daily and I'm still not tired of it.

If any of you old grunge fans are out there, give a shout out and tell a little about your SG experience.

For me, I first discovered them over radio when I was in middle school (back when Superunknown and their last album Down On The Upside came out) and became a devoted fan. I've got many of their albums and thanks to peer-to-peer downloading, have been able to find a lot of obscure tracks from old out-of-print EPs, bootlegs, etc.

My feelings about Audioslave are mixed. I was really psyched to hear Cornell was getting back in the music biz (I liked his solo album, even though it was as un-Soundgarden as you can get), and I loved Rage Against The Machine. The self-titled debute was good, and I think they could get better, but to me Tom Morello was getting lazy with his guitar playing in the later stages of RATM and I really only liked the tracks that didn't sound like Rage on their album (Cochise being the only exception). Only time will tell if they can achieve the greatness their respective former bands had.

So if you used to wear flannel and banged your head to the "Seattle Sound," sound off!
Black Plague is offline   Reply With Quote