Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 01-21-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
Jimdandee

This is a review of the

Genuine Pre Embargo Counterfeit Cuban (1958)

Size: Corona Gorda 6x51

This cigar came from a box purchased back on the very first day they were available from the 1 800 # at JR's. It has one of those plain olive green bands with the two orange stripes and "1958" is all that appears on the band.
The cigar is well made, has a nice uniform fill with a slight soft spot on one side in the middle.
The wrapper is dark brown with a nice oily sheen to it.
The cigar has a great draw and is burning dead on even.
What I love most about this cigar is the flavor profile. It has a nice amount of really pleasant spicey and complex flavors.
This cigar is full bodied and rich tasting....and is the perfect choice for any time of day for me every single time I grab one.
In addition to the lovely flavors, I think the packaging is killer and very original..and best of all..every single time I fire one of these up..I am stunned to think that I paid a mere 95 bucks for a box of 50..that is such a great deal.
An intersting aspect of this line to me is how my preferences change every month. When they first came out I swore by the Belicosos, then Burny said...the Gourmets were the best, then I found myself opting for the Corona Gordas..and so on. I think Nick Perdomo did an outstanding job creating this line for Lew....
An interesting side note....I have given many of these cigars to local buddies to try...every single one of them has enjoyed them enough to go out and buy a few boxes for his humidor/cabinet/cooler.
This cigar is a perfect example of why I buy large quanities of something new after sampling them and really enjoying them....I think the original lot I bought on this line will smoke very nicely over the next 3 to 5 years.....assuming I don't give too many more away or smoke too many each day..lol.
As I have said before many times this is the best under 2 dollar cigar I have ever tasted in the last 10 years.....
My current order of preference on this line
Corona Gorda
Belicoso
Gourmet
Prominente
Corona Major
Epicure

all good, and all very affordable..and best of all..I won't need to buy any for a long time...cuz I am a CIGARHOG!
Old 01-21-2002, 04:50 PM   #2
bigbear

I haven't found a Perdomo product that has wowed me yet, but I haven't tried the GPECCs yet. Thanks for your review. I'll try them.

www.bigbearworks.com

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 05:23 PM   #3
Mayhem
Club Member

Thanx for the review. Here is a notice Lew put up on the JR Announcements Board:

To coincide with a Perdomo Rolling Event at the JR Washington DC Store on Feb. 4th at which customers will receive 15 FREE Hand Rolled cigars with the purchase of PERDOMO La Tradicion Reserve, Cuban Parejo or PRE-EMBARGO 1958 Genuine Counterfeit Cubans:
ALL MAIL ORDER OR JRCIGARS.COM orders will include the same 15 FREE cigars on Feb.4th ONLY.

Purchasers of the Original Genuine Counterfeit Cubans or Cuban Bullet cigars by Perdomo will receive 10 FREE Hand Rolled cigars.

You may ask yourself WWTD? Me? I wonder WWHD???
Old 01-21-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
Shadow
Charter Member
Herf Meister

Just bought a box of the Corona Gordas after smoking several of each size of the PEGCC. I find them all to be a flavorful smoke and as JimmyD said what a bang for the buck!
Old 01-21-2002, 06:25 PM   #5
Jimdandee

Mayhem,

Wow..that's a heck of an offer from Lew..to include the mail order crowd as well..is above and beyong .....I missed out on lots of free bags of Martins coffee by ordering mine so dang early (read, just before Lew offered that deal) and unfortunately..I'll miss out on this too..I have enough in stock here to last me for quite some time... my timing is sure lousy..lol. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

JimmyD
Old 01-21-2002, 09:53 PM   #6
sevenmag
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Good review Jimdandee. The CG is my favorite of the line.
sevenmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 07:48 AM   #7
SMOKINACTUARY
Huge Cranium
Herf God

There are flavors I like in these cigars, but I keep on getting a papery flavor that I find off putting.
...the gas chambers of Auschwitz, Treblinka, and Maidanek were ultimately prepared not in some ministry or other in Berlin, but rather at the desks and in the lecture halls of nihilistic scientists and philosophers.
- Viktor Frankl
SMOKINACTUARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 08:13 AM   #8
spiridon
Herf God

Nice review Jimdandee. I've got a GPECC Gourmet set aside for the ride home tonight.

I stay in a place called "Rooms"....there's a whole chain of them. £
Old 01-22-2002, 08:44 AM   #9
Frankhouse

Good review. I've got a couple of belicoso in the box waiting on me. Think I'll try this week. Thanks.
Frankhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:56 AM   #10
tbateman
Herf Meister

Hey JimmyD, didn;t you line one wall of your basementdor with these things?

Tom
--
It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself. -- Admiral Hyman Rickover
Mongoyim - JLOH #007
tbateman is offline   Reply With Quote