Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Don Arturo Fuente Opus-X Gran AniverXario Sun Grown Review

I have also been looking forward to this one!

Even among Opus-X cigars, these are hard to come by. It was rolled in 2001 as the One Hundred Year Anniversary for the Fuentes. Technically that occurs in 2012, but They went ahead and sold the Big Humidors that had 48 of the "Natural" Wrapper and 48 of the "Sun Grown" inside and those all disappeared quickly. The two cigars (one of each!) that I had, were a part of a Generous gift from a CW Brother.

Cigar: Fuente Don Arturo Sun Grown Gran AniverXario 100th anniversary cigar, rolled in 2001.

Size: This vitola comes in a one size fits all format. It's 6 1/4 X 46 so it's a Toro-ish. It's almost a Panatella.

Appearance: The Sun Grown AniverXario has the same Band as the Natural, but has a black ribbon with a Cedar sleeve that extends from the foot to just under the Band. In the guise of the SG Wrapper, the SG has a more uniform coloration than it's sibling. The Semi Gloss Milk Chocolate color is consistent across the body. It's not as striking as the Nat Wrapper, it's more understated. The cigar itself has a very light semi box press shape.

Construction: After carefully removing the black ribbon and cedar sheath at the foot, I take a closer look at the Sun Grown version of the "100 year cigar". The Wrapper has no discernible lumps or soft spots along the length of this Beauty. It is Firm and solid in the hand. The cap is so smoothly turned out that I have to angle it to the light to see the smooth seams.

Pre-Light: Normally the Opus-X cigars give off a wonderful bouquet of flavors. Sweet Spice, Cardamom and cinnamon notes. This model is less like that and with more subtle tones of peat and an almost floral smell, but very light. The Head clipped cleanly and produced an excellent draw. The notes off the draw are spicy!

Pairing: I only decided to do the Sun Grown today, so my pairing is run of the mill. The nautical traveler Jerrold, will accompany me today.

Sparky: The Adventure Continues! As I bring it to life the Spice comes right out. The easy draw means a quick lite. The charred notes are of Pepper with just a hint of sweet, with a woody tone. No doubt the Cedar sheath's contribution to the cause. The initial Finish is brief, but clean. Pardon me, while I check the Christmas Lasagna.
All better now. The flavor is still a bit dry and spicy, but nothing earth shattering yet. The humi that I have the Fuentes in stays at 68 to 70%, that's where I've had the best luck, setting wise. An odd ripple burn has crept in about 3/4 of an inch. So, I even it out and clip to full diameter from roughly 3/4 on the original clip. Draw has never been tight, quite the opposite in fact.
Ahhh, here We go. After the clip and touch-up, the Spicy Pepper has arrived in Full Force! Black Pepper on the Front and Black Pepper on the Back! Whew! I was getting nervous.
So, a slow start, but now it's On. The highly ornate Band comes off cleanly. At just over 1" everything seems to come together. The burn stabilizes and the Flavor Posse is fashionably late, but present. The spicy pepper is tingling my tongue and the finish is tickling the back of my throat. The smoke still feels a touch dry, but there's plenty of flavor to go around. The Spice and Cedar compliment each other. It's not overpowering, but it's definitely in 'Yer Face'. The Natural AniverXario was more Rounded with Sweet and Spice. It was a more complex cigar, so far at least. I am developing more background tastes now, at 4.5 inches. The finish now has my mouth watering with just a touch of fresh ground cinnamon. The Ash hangs on for about 3/4 of an inch and begins to flake off into a medium white powder. Burn has not wandered again. The first prevalent Black Pepper has now softened and the fresh spice from the Finish has moved into the fore. This size feels right, not too big not too small. My mouth is awash from my salivation glands. On the Draw, during the Hold and on the Finish, Wow! It's like someone rang a bell or something.
At the 3.75 point this puppy just Took Off! The "dry" sensation is gone and this smoke has just made a sharp right hand turn into Savory.
That was a startling transition! The Pepper is still in the background, but the fresh grated cinnamon is surprisingly potent, my eye's are even watering! My tongue is still tingling and the entire inside of my mouth is too! The Finish is strong and long. As I have a drink the flavor abates, but as soon as I process the cool liquid. Bam the Flavor is still right there. I had been smoking fairly fast, but now I slow way down. I want this to Last. Now, more complex Flavours emerge, a sweet cedar and almost molasses. No, that's not quite it. It reminds me of raw sugar cane. Slightly earthy but freshly sweet. The Pepper still has my lips tingling. It took a bit to get here, but when it did, it did so in an impressive way.
Now at 3" and still a fully encompassing experience. More earthy tones are creeping into the profile. Before, I said that the Natural AnniverXario was more complex. I'm not sure that I feel that way right now. The other was more consistent for sure, but this SG certainly has some legs to it. What a Beautiful Christmas Day it has been, sunshine and 70 degrees outside. I had the whole house open to breath. After a full week of rain and cool humid weather, today was wonderful change. Add to that, a Marvelous cigar and my Favorite Holiday, that makes for a Great Christmas Day! After closing all the doors and windows, pulling out the lasagna and refreshing my drink the AniverXario had gone out. I re-clip and it relights easily and continues to impress. In the Naturals review I mentioned it was a "singular" profile. I stand by that, however this cigar also has a unique profile. I have never had a cigar it's equal. Even in the closing stages it continues to perform. I'm not sure what caused the slow start, but It came on like a Champ. No shortage of Variety or Flavor and each in copious amounts. Like all wonderful cigars, I am sad that it is over. But, glad to have experienced it.

Again this is the first cigar of the day, So, I am again, pretty much screwed on the next one.

Parting Thoughts: As stated in the first review, these are not regular cigars. They are Special Cigars designed to be exemplary and beyond the normal smoking experience. Both of the AnniverXario's have been that. As it came to the end, the obvious question loomed. Are they worthy of Their Name and Place in the World of Fine Hand Rolled Cigars? Plain and simply......Yes.

My sincere and continued "Thanks to Bobbystbob" for allowing me the opportunity to sample these Rare and Wonderful Cigars.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote