Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

FFOX Petite Lancero Review

This cigar is an Old Friend, to date I have never had a bad one. I have had a bad day so far, with two failed attempts at getting through an entire cigar. One was a Bundle smoke that was highly recommended and the other was an expensive exotic, also from the Fuente stable.
So, I'm looking to break the cycle with this lovely little number.

CIGAR: The Fuente Fuente Opus-X Petite Lancero, unknown age.

SIZE: This cigar's name tells You what it is, a Short Lancero 6 1/4 x 39. It's a nice size that one does not often see in the marketplace.

APPEARANCE: This cigar is textbook Opus X. From the Opulent Band to the beautiful Rosado Wrapper. The coloration is uniform from Head to Foot. These can be quite toothy, this example is in the middle of that road. Overall a handsome looking cigar.

CONSTRUCTION: The Cap is nicely turned out and smooth. No obvious soft spots and the symmetry is good down to the Foot where it wanders a bit and is slightly misshapen. The rest looks and feels good.

PAIRING: The Sailor and I have sailed rough seas today, but We'll soldier on in search of smoother waters, in which to lounge.

Pre-LIGHT: The Wrapper imparts a lovely and fragrant nose. The Opus apropos notes of Cinnamon and Spice. As is often the case the Wrapper can set the tone for the whole smoking experience. The first shallow clip yields little draw, so We clip again with far better results. The Draw provides a pleasant palate of Flavors nutmeg, earthy spice and a slight floral note. Rich notes appear after charring the foot.
In an homage to the British Flying Circus....."Get On With IT!"

THE MAIN EVENT: As the diameter might lead You to believe, She lights quickly. The spicy herbal notes are first to the party. The draw is light and easy. I have to remember to go slowly on this RG, so I do not overheat it. So far no worry of that. Now the Classic Opus X profile begins to come on. The PL can be spicy or sweet, depending on Your luck. Fortunately for me, I enjoy Both profiles. The ash is a mixed bag of grey, but firm. It falls cleanly as a unit after 3/4 of an inch. Today, the answer is......Spicy! You can feel it come on in the back of Your throat. What a relief, after a couple of disappointing starts, Finally a Good Sunday Cigar. I'm glad I started early.
Well, thank goodness this one panned out. Great Peppery flavor with a touch of sweetness and freshly turned earth, nice. The Opus Band slides right off the top with no issues. I have to admit, something about the band. I remember from the Casa Fuente Video, Carlito telling how He fussed quite a lot with the Band, getting it just right. As it turns out He did. I'm not usually a big fan of over busy Bands. But, the Opus X Band seemed a step above what any of the other Cigar Producers were doing, at the time. Now, of course, many try to capture that magic, but few succeed. I am thoroughly enjoying my little Sweet Pepper smoke. The burn wavers ever so slightly, but never very far or for very long. At the 4" mark and it's smooth sailing. The flavors are swinging gently back and forth. The Red Pepper will ease up and the Allspice will step in for a bit then fade. Then the Pepper moves forward just a touch. The tingle on the tongue and throat is ever present and the finish is short and sweet. I find it interesting, that during the first part of my day, I was displeased with the sub-par cigars. I found that I was displeased with everything in general. Now that I have a good smoke in my hand, all of that melts away. It's amazing the calming effect that a Good Cigar can have on someone. Well, me anyway. I just had a substantial transition in the PL a big burst of Cinnamon and Nutmeg, my whole mouth is now watering and that short finish is now longer and sweeter. Niiiice! This at the 3.5" mark! Many times the Opus-X have to be purged, because of the latent oil content. I never seem to have to do that with the PL's. I enjoy this RG very much. It's actually in between most Lancero sizes, They routinely are 38 or 40 RG. Where 39 comes from I have no idea, but it works. Well, even as this Great Smoke begins to dwindle in my hand, my admiration for it grows. Well mannered, Great Flavors and plenty of flavor and variety. Just what I needed, when I needed it.

FINAL THOUGHTS: We each have in Our minds, what a Good Cigar should be. Whether, it's a certain Flavor, a type of Wrapper, or performance. We All have in our minds, the concept of the Good Cigar. We Hope for that Great Cigar, but mainly We want a good consistant cigar. I feel like some brands are content with a Good Cigar. Still others, pursue the lofty goal of the Great Cigar. I think that the Opus X line falls solidly in the latter category. Are they successful every time? Well, to be completely honest, no. But, that's OK with me, because when they get it right, it is Great.

Just like this Cigar was A Great Cigar!

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote