Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2006, 06:24 AM   #1
mherklots

La Aurora 1495 Vertical

La Aurora is one of those companies that continues to impress me with such great consistent smokes. I think what impresses me most is their ability to maintain the integrity and uniqueness of each line and blend they make. The 1495 I really enjoyed when it was released, and then sort of fell out of my regular rotation as I got distracted bysome of their newer cigars like the Preferidos Robusto, Preferido Emerald, and the Leon Jimenes 2001 Robusto. I started my day yesterday morning with a 1495 Corona, and was so delighted that I smoked the whole damn line.

All of the 1495's were aesthically gorgeous. Very even color on each of them. Beautiful veins, and a beautiful sheen were evident.

1495 Corona
I think coronas are always the strongest showing shape in any of the La Aurora lines. This baby was a gem! From the first puff, the draw was effortless and the flavor was rich yet restrained. I love the flavor of this wrapper, and the thin ring guage allows the wrapper to really take center stage. It developed easily, and although it didn't change drastically start to finish, it was still an engaging cigar. What really stood out on this cigar was the finish... it was so long and pleasant that I found myself puffing less often to enjoy the lingering flavor that was left on my palete. Solid medium body.

1495 Robusto
Delivers rich flavor with some earth yet a touch of sweetness. The body of the smoke is dense, yet the smoke's impact is not aggressive. Much like the corona, it does not change a whole lot. The smoke remained cool to the end and offered hints of roasted nuts and dark fruits

1495 Belicoso
The epitome of this format, this figurado smokes with absolute finesse. The full body is evident from the beginning showing the classic 1495 flavors that the corona and robusto shared. About one third through, this cigar begain really showing its true colors. The flavors began changing and developing subtly yet consistently straight to the end becoming more leathery and rich yet still almost velvety in character never getting harsh or hot. The draw was a bit firm, but not uncomfortably so... almost forcing me to really focus on enjoying the cigar and to pay attention to its changes, preventing me from being distracted by other things.

1495 Churchill
Mild to Medium bodied at the start, the Churchill built in flavor strength and aroma from start to finish. A solid wood note was clear in the beginning, however darker flavors were brought into the picture adding some nice spice, earth, and leather by the middle ending full bodied and wonderfully complex. Although its a bit of a time commitment compared to the others, this what I consider a cigar smoker's cigar. It's versatile enough to smoke anytime of the day and enjoy.

-Michael
mherklots is offline   Reply With Quote