Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Meadmaker

Bolivar Tubo#3 (PUC Sep 00)

Bolivar Tubo#3 (PUC Sep 00)
4 7/8 x 34 ring Date of review Saturday August 29th, 2006

Slightly ugly little stick, with a poorly applied triple cap, and a green watermark near the foot. Though ugly, there are no lumps or soft spot, so besides it's appearance, it seems to be well constructed. I snip the cap, with my Palio cutter that was gifted to me by DED. At first draw it was a little tight, but I prefer smaller ring cigars to be a little tight.
I toast the foot, and take my first draw. I am immediately hit with the full bore earthy flavors of the classic Bolivar “In Your Face, profile. Rich full bodied smoke, that explodes on contact, with my taste buds with the flavors of leather and sweet spice.
The first third, is an assault on your senses, slamming them into submission, but that is OK, I like things a little rough. The flavors are intense, but smooth and rich. At about ¾” the smoke becomes a little bit creamy, but with a full spicy richness that can’t be ignored.

In the second third of this wonderful diminutive smoke, the flavors mellow a bit, and start a nice interplay between the spices, all the while maintaining a nice balance of leather, cream, leather, and spice. One puff the cinnamon takes the forefront, the next nutmeg. Toward the last of the second third, an Anise taste becomes dominant.

The final third, kicks it up a notch, which I previously thought was impossible, and my lips and tongue are almost overcome with the flavor assault as they begin to pleasantly tingle. I lay this cigar to rest, only after sustaining minor burns on my fingers, and lips, which were numb anyway, from the intensity of the spice.
This cigar has a vitamin N kick that makes it a definite pick for my rotation, as I like them strong, but would not be a good cigar for a new smoker. The finish is very long, and I am still feeling the effects, and the tingling remains, for up to an hour after I laid it to rest. I would rate this cigar at 4.7 on the 5 point scale. I think I will need to order more of these before they are gone. A Wonderful 45 minute, full-bodied Powerhouse, this has a definite place in my rotation.
Dave (A.K.A. Meadmaker)