Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
bsk
Club Member

JR Special Corona #5

JR Special Corona #5
(5 X 5.00)

I've never tried these before. I threw in a 6-pack on a recent coffee purchase from JR and finally busted the pack open today.

The cigar certainly seemed to have some age on it. The cello was nicely yellowed. The cigar was pressed square from the pressure of the bundling. It was solid, no give at all, but had a perfectly smooth draw. The wrapper was lightly veined and medium brown. It clipped cleanly.

The pre-light draw flavor was toasty and cedary.

The cigar lit easily and produced good volumes of smoke. During the initial phase the flavors each stood out: toasty tobacco, cedar, and a tangy black pepper spiciness. Each one of those flavors I could distinctly pick out.

During the middle third the cigar really bloomed. The flavors I described before seemed to meld into a single, complex characteristic. They were there, but I could no longer pick them out individually. In addition, the smoke developed a creaminess that transformed the smoking experience to an even higher level. Very enjoyable.

That last third saw another transformation where the black pepper spiciness came distinctly back to the forefront. All the while the cigar remained creamy and smooth.

This was a cigar packed with flavor but I would not consider it "strong". A solid medium-bodied smoke.

Now I'm thinking of grabbing a pack of the Churchill size. If the robusto size provided such flavor dynamics, hunkering down for an hour plus with a No. 1 could be a very interesting experience indeed.

The No. 5 is a great cigar for $1.50. It gets a big bsk thumbs up!
bsk is offline   Reply With Quote