Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #17
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokestack Jack View Post
Do any of you guys remember way back when...

...The Punch and Hoyo Rothchild sizes were debated as the same as the Consugra #9's? I still have a couple of #9's at the bottom of my fridgedor!
I believe that they probably were in most cases.

If you had a business that sold products that were essentially commodities, that could be sold under different labels and prices quite easily, you would keep production running year round as long as you had raw materials and the wherewithal to keep them running.

Any roller could make a rothschild, and they were probably run in greater number than any other vitola. Then they'd grade them out and load the boxes as needed, and push the rest out the door as 'seconds' as needed.

Nobody is going to throw away poor tobacco, so there are 'seconds' made out of junk materials. nobody will deliberately put grade A materials in front of a poor worker. Nobody will use grade AAA material on a $4 cigar that may be sold as a $2 bundle. There aren't going to be $2 seconds made out of the prime leaf.

Connies and other seconds, IMO, come in several types.

Seconds made on purpose by trainees or low lwevel workers, and those made of marginal tobacco was was too good to waste in short filler junk.

Seconds that were just excess production beyond what the boxed brands required, production that had to be moved out rather than just left in stock while more were being produced.

Actual seconds that were sorted out. One of the methods of testing involved just weighing the wheels off of the table, if a production run was off of the normal tare, they would open it up and check the cigars, or just send the whole wheel to seconds.

No9body deliberately makes chipped china, but everyone produces far more than necessary of every product they make to ensure that the production needs are met. Anyone can sell a first line product as a second when needed, rather than cheapen the brand by reducing the price.

Economics requires degrees, and I ain't got one, but the entire 'seconds' industry is all based on economics, and sometimes, it doesn't make any difference whether the product is actually second quality.

I once read about how nike dealt with 'seconds' of their top lines of shoes. They shredded them. They wouldn't allow a $250 pair of sneakers to sell for only $50.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote