Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Rights in America

Cigar Rights in America Discussion of smokers' rights in all 50 states.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:43 AM   #1
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

I'm confused

For months, we've been bombarded with doom & gloom reports about the new FDA regulations. All new cigars (retroactive to 2007) will need to be submitted for approval, cost estimated to be somewhere between $200,000 and $2,000,000 per new cigar. Everybody but the big guys will be driven out of business. Retailers went into a frenzy of "Buy these while you still can!" sales...most of which turned out to be little more than dumping cheap bundled cigars and other low-end stuff they couldn't sell.

The new regs went into effect on Monday...and yet the tide of "Check out the new IPCPR releases!" emails continues unabated. So what's going on? Are the manufacturers simply ignoring the new rules, or has this been a Chicken Little thing?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:42 AM   #2
jgbutler
Herf Meister

Doug below is a link to some of the rules and applicable dates to the new rule provisions. There is some grace period to some of this, some going out into 2018. My take is that there will be a bit of a delay before you will start seeing massive advertising and sales changes.

http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/G.../ucm500778.htm
Old 08-11-2016, 04:45 AM   #3
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Thanks, James.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

There's a whole other world out there. The USA is one country. Two years from now we'll all be ordering our cigars, both Cuban and non-Cuban, from Hong Kong and Spain.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbutler View Post
Doug below is a link to some of the rules and applicable dates to the new rule provisions. There is some grace period to some of this, some going out into 2018. My take is that there will be a bit of a delay before you will start seeing massive advertising and sales changes.

http://www.fda.gov/TobaccoProducts/G.../ucm500778.htm
Classic Obama. Like Obamacare and many other controversial things he has implemented, he phases them in after elections.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
gumby
Contributing Editor
MOM November 2012 Emeritus
Honorary MOM November 2021
Herf God

Interesting article in today's WSJ talking about this. It seems that manufacturers rushed to deliver new brands before the deadlines. Rocky and others were quoted as saying they rushed aging from 6 month minimums to only three months and that many of these cigars will be "green." It also said that many factories were working 18 hour days just to get stuff out before the 8th.
Sounds like lower quality for a lot of these newbies.

Thomas Jefferson
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:01 AM   #7
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Take it to PM, guys. Don't need any infighting here.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #8
carmine7075
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
For months, we've been bombarded with doom & gloom reports about the new FDA regulations. All new cigars (retroactive to 2007) will need to be submitted for approval, cost estimated to be somewhere between $200,000 and $2,000,000 per new cigar. Everybody but the big guys will be driven out of business. Retailers went into a frenzy of "Buy these while you still can!" sales...most of which turned out to be little more than dumping cheap bundled cigars and other low-end stuff they couldn't sell.

The new regs went into effect on Monday...and yet the tide of "Check out the new IPCPR releases!" emails continues unabated. So what's going on? Are the manufacturers simply ignoring the new rules, or has this been a Chicken Little thing?
Don't you remember how Schip was going to be the end of affordable cigars in America?

I am still on the fence about this one but leaning toward chicken little.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmine7075 View Post
Don't you remember how Schip was going to be the end of affordable cigars in America?

I am still on the fence about this one but leaning toward chicken little.
and it was, really. I good $4.99 stick from 4 years ago is 9$ now...
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
carmine7075
Herf God

I didn't notice that much of a change in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk