Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 07-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #41
bsslack
Herf Meister

Back in the Darker Days. Classic new dark, yet filled with more depth than just that. Of course there's "My Lucretia"- "Flood I"- "This Corrosion" and also the haunting "1959."

The Sisters of Mercy- Floodland

https://youtu.be/H0DivlmO--U

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #42
bsslack
Herf Meister

How have I failed to mention this Artist! Wow, I really have no excuse.

Forget the movie, just listen to the Music! Easily in the Top 10 ever, among instrumental albums.

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

https://youtu.be/TXvtDm820zI

Here's the Book of Love reboot and sample long form. Pretty Boys and Pretty Girls.

https://youtu.be/CfuP5h5s5rE

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Last edited by bsslack; 07-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #43
bsslack
Herf Meister

Still stuck in the 70's.

Gerry Rafferty and the album City to City.

https://youtu.be/G3D7Cmr_9hQ

Stand out tracks are of course Baker Street, Right Down the Line, Home and Dry, City to City and Waiting for the Day.

Cheers!

Old 07-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #44
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Tubular Bells was the soundtrack for The Exorcist. Was also the beginning of the Richard Branson story, being the first release of the Virgin label.

Still listen to Sister's of Mercy. Floodland was their best. Go back and spin up Nine Inch Nails Pretty Hate Machine. Saw them, Jane's Addiction, IceT, Siouxie and The Banshees at the first Lollapalooza here in ATL, many years ago.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #45
bsslack
Herf Meister

Pretty Hate machine has made a few laps on the players I've owned.

Today is another somewhat obscure artist. He seemed fairly popular and the just faded from the scene. But, I totally dug his sound.

Al Stewart- Time Passages , 1978 Album Excellent.

https://youtu.be/utlJfNAsGxw

But, my favorite Al Stewart album has to be "Year of the Cat."

https://youtu.be/v2zAY-OLMUE

Cheers!

Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #46
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Nobody remembers Todd Rundgren much anymore, but I remain a fan.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #47
bsslack
Herf Meister

See, there's one I never really got into. I put him and Neil Young, Meatloaf and Robert Palmer in the same category. They were guy's that were around for years and had one or two actual hit's. Then they faded into the back ground, but you still heard about them every now and then. But had a loyal fan bases, if not large ones. I call them "The love'em or hate'em crew." You either really dig them or not.

That's the beauty of Music, there's always something for everyone. I was reminded again of that just this week. I drove my 82 YO mother to the nearby (70 miles roundtrip) "real town" to shop for sundries and such. She was in the front passengers seat beside me and reached into the glove box and grabbed a CD and popped it into the player and Keith Urban comes out and she turns it up. (no, her hearing is fine) So, I smile and say nothing. Then, There's a track with him and Pitbull with an almost rappin beat. I glace over at her and smile and she say's......."Is that too loud for You?" Hilarious, truly. My aged mother was worried that she was cranking up the stereo too loudly for me. Priceless. Later she put's in the soundtrack to the remake of the movie Alfie and goes right to a few Mick Jagger songs: "Blind Leading the Blind" and "Old Habits Die Hard" which she quietly sang to herself.

I instantly, in my head, heard a line from an old Stones track:
'You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you find, You get what you need."

Music can instantaneously cross the gulfs of time and experience between people. It is humbling, enlightening, amazing and comforting.

Cheers!

Old 07-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #48
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Meatloaf wouldn't have been shit if it weren't for Jim Steiman's songwriting.

I know I've mentioned it before, but Til Tuesday's Welcome Home has so many good memories associated with it for me that listening to it is like putting on a really comfortable pair of shoes. The equivalent of grilled cheese and tomato soup. Comfort food for your ears.

Unborn lives matter too.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:03 AM   #49
bsslack
Herf Meister

Well today it's Talk Talk, Colour Of Spring. (circa 1982) It will get you going.

https://youtu.be/6hHnOBlwU3A?list=PL...IlMasf7F_wQITU

Cheers!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #50
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Been meaning to make a ringtone out of "Talk, Talk".

Unborn lives matter too.