Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2003, 10:11 PM   #1
John Shaft
Starting Member

Punch Gran Puro Robusto

First out of a box split I did during the Carolina Crawl two weeks ago. Paid $35 for 12 cigars.
Dark robusto, already has an oily wrapper with a rough cap. Nice cut with my SAK, and prelight draw was almost too easy. Lit without a care, and burned almost completely evenly. First draw was a little sour, which definitely concerned me. Subsequent initial few draws were a bit bitter, like strong coffee grounds, though not terribly inpleasant. From there onto the end, the cigar set up nicely. Consistently earthy (like a strong Savignelli Reserve), with strong espresso and bitter chocolate flavors. Draw tightened up a little bit, closing in on perfect for me. smoked to the band. Definitely full bodied smoke, on the full side of medium strength. I'm definitely feeling it about 30 min after I put it down (though it may also be the Balvenie 12 yr that I paired it with!)
Overall, though this box needs some more time to become a sublime smoke, I think it's definitely on its way. 8/10

Shaft

"We've got, you know, armadillos in our trousers. I mean, it's really quite frightening."
John Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote