Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
dz130
Herf Meister

Moncada Cigars

My friend just got back from his 90 days of unpaid vacation from his temporary cruise ship job. On his last cruise, they went to Roatan, Honduras. I was able to email him to pick up anything that was locally rolled. He came back with these and two RP Edge litetubos, and a Santa Rosa tubo.

The four hand-rolleds that he got me are a nice light brown color. About a 50RG and 6" long. I did a quick Google search, and only found a thread from another board from 2009. The reviews they gave on there were that they were a nice mild cigar with "toasty" flavors.

I'm going to put these down for a bit to rest from t he trip, then give one a try.

Unless I can't wait, and try one at work tonight.

Finally out of the sandbox.

If I say Corona, I ain't talking beer.

RIP Ed Toner
dz130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
dz130
Herf Meister

Forgot to post the info on the card:

Authentic Moncada Cigars

Sr. Adalberto Moncada

Ph: (504)9966-2240

Hand made in Roatan, Honduras C.A.

Email: monadaciggars@yahoo.com

RIP Ed Toner
Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #3
dz130
Herf Meister

Finished my three days of duty, and decided to break one of these out tonight to try. It was such a beautiful evening. Nice and warm, with no dust blowing for once.

Pulled one out of the bag, and took a whiff. A nice mild smell of sweetness, and wood. The wrapper felt a little fragile, so I took some distilled water and ran it around the outside to soften it a bit. Unfortunately, it was too late. A crack had already developed in this dry air over here. Luckily, I had a band laying around, and I put that on it. It made all the difference in the world.

I lit it up and started. It had a wonderful fragrance. Sweetness. The medium brown wrapper burned razor sharp. The beginning was oh so smooth. This was so light and mild. it had a wonderful sweet, woody flavor to it. The only way to describe it was kind of like cedar.

The ash was a nice black and gray color. It was holding great until I bumped it, and knocked it off. It continued to burn nice and straight. The ash kept clinging on even though it was kind of expanded at the end from hitting it. It just did not want to fall off even though it looked like it would go at any time. Even when I tried to knock it off, only a little bit would fall.

The flavor stayed nice and sweet and mellow. When the ash finally did come off, it started to burn straight down into the center, never getting crooked, or coming out the side at all.

Half way through, it was still the same. Just a nice sweet woody flavor, almost like a candela. It didn't have the mellow taste of a Dominican. Just the solid flavor of Nicaraguan tobacco.

Getting into the last third, it was still burning straight and flat as a razor. The flavor had not changed one bit. It wasn't one dimensional. It just had this pleasantness to it that made me want it more.

As I got near the end, I purged it a few times to keep the flavor clean. Still no change. Just this mild sweetness that was just simply wonderful. Finally, it started to burn a little crooked from me trying to get the last bit of flavor out of it. It got to the point where I just couldn't hold it anymore, and I burned my fingers and dropped it.

Even now, about 20 minutes after finishing it, I can still barely taste the sweetness that it left on my palette. Amazing! Simply amazing! This thing did not bowl me over with spices or tangyness one bit. This is probably the mildest cigar that I have had in years.

The whole experience reminds me of icing on a cake. Something that is sooo smooth and sweet. The taste just makes you want more. I can't believe after having all the full flavored cigars over here that this one was so good. It made me really appreciate the ability to just tweak the senses enough without hitting them over the head with a club like some of the full flavored ligero Hondurans I found here.

I have three more of these, and I want to go through all of them right now, back to back to back. I still have not received a reply from the email that I sent, so I'm not sure if I will be able to get anymore of these anytime soon, if at all.

These are going to sit in my coolidor, and wait for some very special occasions. Talk about being knocked over by a featherweight.

RIP Ed Toner
Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

do you think it had a sweetened cap? or was the sweetness from teh tobacco? glad you enjoyed it.

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
dz130
Herf Meister

No, it was definitely not a sweetened tip ala Baccarat. It was all tobacco.

I wish this guy would respond to my email. I'd like to get a price too get some more.

RIP Ed Toner
Old 04-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

a ran across a place like that, guy was around for a year in a store front never responded to emails then was gone and I never have found him again. Up and gone like a fart in the wind

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote