Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Opux X Chili Pepper

Well why not?

Today's date is special for several reasons....

...I) It's L-B's Birthday!

My Twin Brother and I graduated together 28 years ago, today.

3) Mount St Helen's had some serious PMS, also 28 Years ago.(I moved to Oregon within the month)

So, lets smoke a Nice Ceegar, while We watch the Cubs and then the Angels!

This is the first Chili Pepper I've had, but I like an nice Opus as much as the next Guy.

It arrived, in It's own little coffin. Say what You may about The Fuentes, but Carlito clearly understands the value of Quality Packaging and the Details of Presentation.

This modified Perfecto cigar is roughly 5 1/2 inches long and tapers from the bulbous 58 ring gauge foot to a neat right hand addressed nipple cap.

The cigar is dressed with the required OPUS X band, plus the secondary year of production band. This one is a young 2007.

In Appearance the Wrapper of this cigar has a mat or flat finish. A very smooth surface on the Rosado sheath, covering a nicely Bound uniform fill.

Prelight is lovely. The aroma is redolent with White Pepper. Cardamom and fresh grated Nutmeg all surrounded with the grace of Cedar.

MMMMMM

A conservative guillotine clip, reveals a lite draw. That's surprising for a prelight Perfecto.

The Spark? Long wood matches to just glow the tip. Mmm first draw is mostly Wrapper, Nice and spicy. Just like it should be....for a Chili Pepper.

The next few puffs open up the foot to half the ring gauge, which slightly eases the pepper content.

One half an inch in and my tongue already is tingling. That's a surprise.

This Opus does not generate much smoke as it combusts, but plenty of sharp and spicy flavor.

I have smoked more than a few Opus X and this Profile is unique among them. The Opus PC has a peppery lean, but nothing compared to this.

At 1 inch I've re-clipped the head to open it up. Remember this cigar at the head is very narrow. After clipping 1/2 inch the diameter is still only around 28 ring.

This is quite a surprise, You reach the cigar's max diameter within the first inch then You taper down from there. As such You experience a constant transitioning from one level to another.

So far, I am very impressed with this Young Perfecto.

Since this is a "Brunch Review" I started with cool spring water as a pairing.

Two inches in I am bringing in an Ice Cold Tecate from the Bullpen. How about those Cubs? (Sorry, L-B made me say that. )

At this point, I cleanly remove Both bands.

The cigar settles into a well mannered cedar and cinnamon period. The burn has been odd, but self correcting. I've trimmed the head again, the narrow path slows the draw rather quickly. Possibly age again, affecting that aspect.

The cigar appears densely packed and Well Constructed.

Hold the phone...........The flavor just went to Warm Bread and Nutmeg, the aroma is wonderful.

First touch up required. Well mannered and still baking here.

The unit maintains it's crisp flavor. White Pepper is creeping back into the equation.

As the taper reduces the tempo picks up with the Flavor and burn.

I deliberately slow down so as not to overheat the ever reducing diameter.

My whole mouth is tingling and alive. Unexpected to put it mildly.
I must admit, I surprised, I have never experience such flavor variety from such a Young Opus.

As I pass the halfway mark, the flavor just keeps coming.

I think that one aspect that impresses me is the uniform flavor, in the level of flavor. So, far it's never been harsh or unbalanced. Which sometimes occurs in the young Opus cigars of my past. This one delivers plenty of variety, at a controlled level.

Du-Oh! So busy typing that I let it go out...........relight, by Mr. Bonehead!

At 2 inches left it sharpens up, but still zero bitterness.

Still spicy, but not a harsh puff is the house.

As We approach the inch and one half left the flavors start to turn a touch rough and i allow it to retire with dignity.

You know what? I can think of many worse ways to spend a hour and a half.

Well, in summation The Fuentes named this one Right!

I can only speculate what this cigar might be like in a few years.........but I think maybe I should collect another one, so I can find out.

What a Pleasant Surprise.

CHEERS!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote