Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-11-2002, 03:16 AM   #1
Prof2B
Starting Member

Cigar: Punch Ninfa, cabinet selection
Vitola: Panetela, 7x33
Tobacco: Cuban (puro)
Review Date: 1/10/02
Street price: $5-$6

Appearance: Good. Medium brown wrapper, colorado, with no blemishes. One rather prominent vein, several fine veins.

Construction: Very good. Short cap, no soft spots. Tightly wrapped, nicely filled.

Burn: Very good. A couple times one side burned just a bit more quickly, but it always worked itself out just as fast.

Problems: None.

Draw: Excellent. Comfortable draw from start to finish, with generous amounts of smoke. Not an easy thing to do in a Panetela. I was impressed.

Ash: Grey to dark grey, firm.

Smoked to: Band. Got a little hot at that point. About 60 minutes.

Strength: Mild to Medium/Mild. I had a moderate meal beforehand, and I just started to feel a little headiness at the end of the cigar. The effect, though mild, was weighty.

Aroma: Excellent. The first inch was classic Havana Punch: creamy and dense, with an almost milk-like scent. Once the cigar got going, it was toasty and earthy, dripping with hints of molasses.

Taste: Very good. A soft tang throughout, the predominant flavors being freshly tilled earth and sweet spices. Not especially complex, but the flavor was rich and hearty with a clean finish.

Overall: Excellent smoke!

General comments: I'm not a huge fan of most Punch Habanos: the flavor profile usually doesn't do much for me. Who would have thought, then, that a panetela of all things would turn out to be such a rich smoke. As I mentioned, it's not especially complex, but it does take a big turn after the first couple inches, which kept me intrigued. And the Ninfa is consistently flavorful throughout, quite a surprise in such a small ring gauge. At around $6 I'd say this is one of the best values in Cuban cigars.

The mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches.