PDA

View Full Version : Who makes Connies

dkp858
01-17-2002, 09:26 AM
I've been reading a lot about Consuegra's and have looked at the spend sheet about which Connie covers which other sticks and this just confuses me. Connies are called seconds of this or seconds of that, yet they appear to be seconds of a lot of things. The one thing that seems obvious is that they are Honduran. But my question remains...who makes them? Are they made by General/Villizon as seconds to the Hoyo and Punch lines or are they "commisioned" to by made for Lew by a mfg....similar to JR Alts.

MetsFan
01-17-2002, 09:31 AM
They are made by Villazon and are seconds of the regular lines (Punch, Hoyo, ERDM, etc.)

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.

TOJE
01-17-2002, 09:35 AM
What MF said.........if your lucky, they can be great smokes. But it's a crap shoot!

MetsFan
01-17-2002, 09:39 AM
What TOJE said. If you go over to the JR board, people always rave about these and practically soil themselves when certain one's come in (#733 for example).

The price is good on them and, for seconds, the quality is pretty good. I'd recommend the #9 and #733 for starters. The #14M are also good.

For someone who smokes a lot of cigars, can tolerate a second and wants to save money, they're a good thing. For someone like me who doesn't smoke every day and wants consistency, they don't fit the bill.

mannish
01-17-2002, 09:52 AM
canines :rofl: :rofl:

Smokin_VI
01-17-2002, 10:09 AM
I love 'em, especially the #9Ms. They are very good for what they are. They are seconds which means the wrappers may be a little off color, the bunch may not be just right, they may be over or under filled. Am I gonna smoke them on a special occasion. I doubt it, but I'm not gonna fire up an Opus X when I'm out washing the car or tinkering in the garage either. At 80 a pop, if I get 'em wet, I just toss 'em. :yum:

Herfnerd
01-17-2002, 10:19 AM
A lot of brands sell seconds - Old Fashioned (Partagas and Macanudo), MATASA (Casa Blanca, Licenciedos, Fonseca), Private Stock (Davidoff, Avo, Griffin), W&D (Don Tomas, Astral), La Aurora, El Credito, etc. etc. etc.

Seconds are usually a good bargain, they are the exact same cigar as the firsts, but with some flaw - underfilled, sloppy construction, blotchy wrapper, etc. As long as you realise this and have the patience to let them sit a bit (they are usually not aged), don't mind them coming in bundles and don't smoke the band, they can be damned good.

gumby
01-17-2002, 10:23 AM
they are worth buying and then aging. In addition to the ones mentioned, try the 30M

"The Texans were my best soldiers. Not once did I see their backs in battle" Robert E. Lee

dkp858
01-17-2002, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys.......

unklebill
01-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Connies are seconds of Hoyo de Monterey, Belinda, El Rey del Mundo, Punch, Excallibur, JR Ultimates and a couple others I am forgeting. These brands are all made by the same company, General.

Here is a conversion chart, but it may not be accurate. JR is notorious for deceiving its customers as to the actual origin/identity of cigars they sell. They do have great prices and specials and customer service, but "don't beleive the hype".

http://www.texaswahoo.net/consuegra.html

BILL

"Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar."

spiridon
01-17-2002, 11:12 AM
Connie #9 Maddies...Mmmmmmmm. I agree with Smokin_VI, maybe not for "special occasions", but a real nice smoke. :u:

I stay in a place called "Rooms"....there's a whole chain of them.

Herfnerd
01-17-2002, 12:56 PM
<JR is notorious for deceiving its customers as to the actual origin/identity of cigars they sell>. JMHO, but JR's isn't decieving anybody with origin/identity of Connies. They've never officially stated which sizes are seconds of what brand/vitola, but only that they are seconds of Villazon products.

sevenmag
01-17-2002, 12:59 PM
I love the #9m's. Rarely do I get a bad one, and they can become some damn good cigars with some age.
The 733's seem to be more inconsistant, but I have had some of those that were fantastic, and some that were less than remarkable to say the least.

Proud to be a "BOTL".

MetsFan
01-17-2002, 01:08 PM
JR is notorious for deceiving its customers as to the actual origin/identity of cigars they sell. They do have great prices and specials and customer service, but "don't beleive the hype".

I'm not sure where you get that Bill. While I agree much of their marketing is hype (isn't that what marketing is?), I've never known them to lie about the origin/identity of a cigar. I'd be interested in hearing if they have, though.

TommyBB
01-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Don't go get banned again, Joe!!

"You come out of the tunnel. Everyone is screaming. Everyone is going crazy. You can smell the bourbon." LSU QB Rohan Davey on running onto the field in Tiger Stadium

Then you ask yourself, oh sure, but WWTD? WALT!

unklebill
01-17-2002, 02:19 PM
Perhaps, once again, I am being unclear in my posts. I did not mean to suggest that JR is deceptive in it's marketing of Connies. They are what they say they are....I think.....

But the notorious "Villazon/Hatsa" bundles. Definately not what he said they were. That was not clever marketing....or maybe it was.....but I call it deception.

BILL

"Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar."

MetsFan
01-17-2002, 02:31 PM
Thanks for clarifying Bill. :u:

Herfnerd
01-17-2002, 03:23 PM
Gotchya UnkleBill

Caddye
01-17-2002, 03:30 PM
I was going to mention the villa/hatsas if someone didn't. For example, the #54s-no one has ever figured out what they are as they don't seem to match any of the known smokes, and these were supposed to be firsts. I guess they aren't even 54 gauge as some have mentioned, I never measured mine.

Caddye
01-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, JR is great in my book. I don't really think anyone should expect much from any bundle of cigars for less than $20, ya gets what you pay for, the hype is free.

Jimdandee
01-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Like the guys said..Connies are real crap shoot...they can be good to very good...but they are seconds. Being such, they can be downright horrid as well. As for JR being deceptive....excuse me..but that is laughable at best. JR has a very liberal return policy..and his customer service is as good as I have ever experienced anywhere on any product. The man tells it like it is...he's blunt..I like that. Over the years..I have never once been let down by JR. In fact, I had a major gripe on some cigars that I had purchased and stored without first opening them. 6 months later, when I opened them..I discovered the wrappers were for sh*t..and not what they were supposed to be. I wrote a note to JR..they said send em back..for either credit or new cigars. After thinking about it...I realized I had dropped the ball by not doing the basic proper thing..opening the boxes upon receipt. So instead I sucked it up and lived with the problem. The point is..JR is about as stand up as it gets. Not even a trace of doubt about that. As for the VilHats...I bought a bunch of bundles..they are a nice cheap smoke for yardening...that's all I was expecting...as for the expert on VilHats..TexasWahoo over on the JRBB is your man..LOLOLOL

JimmyD

MetsFan
01-17-2002, 05:53 PM
I agree with you Jim. But, you have to admit JRs will hype a cigar to boost sales. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that though and that's why Lew is such a dominant player int he industry.

Jimdandee
01-17-2002, 07:44 PM
Mets Fan..no doubt he hypes certain cigars...at the same time I can't tell you how many times Lew has said something to the effect these cigars are garbage..so I'm sellin em cheap..get this junk outta here. (in the catelog)Heck..A few years (5-ish actually) in one catalog..he had some cigar that was so bad..he gave them away for the asking. As far as hyping goes..I have to say that I was a big hyper when the Bolivar Fuertes were first released...as well as the GPECC..when I really like something..I try to spread the news...and I look to many of you guys for input on what you like..that's why I hang out on a cigar BB...Lew is a creator of many a fine product for all of us cigar smoking goons. Hell, the ANALysts on Wall Street hype pure garbage stocks on a daily basis to the unsuspecting and easily fooled public....when the bubble burst...those same public lost trillions in market value as ANALysts from big name firms continued to say BUY BUY BUY...lol. Hyping a cigar from time to time is a lot less harmful and costly to your customers...as I said..you buy something you don't like from Lew..send it back...no hassle. How many people out there would like to send their broker a few of those 70$ Cisco shares back...lol. To hype a cigar is not a crime or dishonest..it's simply part of being a salesman. To be deceptive is something completely different..and in my view as a long time customer of JR..I have never been deceived. That's all I'm saying. whew..that was long winded..but every single time I get on the subject of ANALysts I tend to go go go..lol..sorry guys.
JimmyD

PS..what's interesting about the cigar world is that we all taste them so differently....There are certain brands that many of you guys will do backflips for..that I would not smoke....and the other way around..cigars are like women..some are short fat and ugly..and some are tall slender and pretty.....but no matter what they are..there is always a guy out there who longs for her..lol..I'll stop now...

TommyBB
01-17-2002, 08:31 PM
Your p.s. was very true Jim. Thanks

My name is Tommy and I will smoke a Te Amo!

"You come out of the tunnel. Everyone is screaming. Everyone is going crazy. You can smell the bourbon." LSU QB Rohan Davey on running onto the field in Tiger Stadium

Then you ask yourself, oh sure, but WWTD? WALT!

Roofer
01-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Well said JimmyD.!

I consider Lew to be a great salesman! At the same time I think him to be an honest,down to earth guy!

HE TELLS IT LIKE IT IS!!

MetsFan
01-17-2002, 08:35 PM
Jim - I think we're in agreement here. :u:

sevenmag
01-17-2002, 09:12 PM
Isn't it funny how a connie thread always seems to more attention than the Federal Budget.

Proud to be a "BOTL".

pcotton3
01-17-2002, 09:15 PM
Wow, this is better than a Monica thread.

"The works of the masters are like fine wine. My books are like water, but everyone drinks water." Mark Twain

briand
01-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Based on what I have seen, JR is a master marketer. I have never seen deception.

If I see a box/bundle hyped as "the best" and the price is $30, I certainly do not expect the same as if it were priced at $75.

mannish
01-18-2002, 08:14 AM
First off I only joke about JR, I order there when he has something I want. Like the New RA's I must explain the below comment

.."at the same time I can't tell you how many times Lew has said something to the effect these cigars are garbage"

The reason Lew does this is because on the accompanying page he says these other cigars are fabulous. Since he just trashed something he carries then the consumer says 'well he sure is honest". It's part of his marketing prowness. You think he is trashing a cigar he carries and in reality he is building up the one he wants to buy on the next page. It works like a charm. The buyer trusts him becuase he trashed the 19.95 box of cigars so when he says the 59 dollar box is great then which box do you buy...? The one he wanted you to buy.

radsmoke
01-18-2002, 01:53 PM
For an excellent inexpensive everyday cigar I will always go to the 9ms. The 733s can be very good, as well.