PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum...

Lagniappe
01-15-2002, 09:09 PM
So I figured I'd take some time to introduce myself. I'm rather new to cigars and just amazed at some of the things I've read on this forum so far and am sure I will continue to be for some time.

Anyway, I really like full bodied cigars with darker wrappers, maduros and oscuros. So if anyone has a personal favorite they would recommend as a "must smoke" I'd love some advice.

"It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Former Georgia Tech Coach Bobby Dodd describes his visit to Tiger Stadium

Hendrix
01-15-2002, 09:11 PM
Good to have you here brother!

Welcome to CWBB!
:u: :u: :u:

September 11,2001..GOD BLESS US

sambo
01-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Welcome aboard, glad you could make it. :D

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

qajariaq
01-15-2002, 09:18 PM
welcome! have you tried the La Luna Maduro Fuerte? :yum:

gumby
01-15-2002, 09:19 PM
welcome! :D

"The Texans were my best soldiers. Not once did I see their backs in battle" Robert E. Lee

MetsFan
01-15-2002, 09:21 PM
Welcome to CW! :u:

Let's Go Hawks!

Duffer
01-15-2002, 09:34 PM
welcome to our home... :u: :u:

try an ERDM Robusto Larga...nice and tasty.. :u:

DUFFERYo Yo Yo !!!!

bigbear
01-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Welcome.

Lagniappe
01-15-2002, 09:44 PM
Up until I ran across this forum I'd never heard of La Luna. Everyone seems to rave about them and I've been keeping an eye out, unfortunately none of the local shops carry the line. :cry:

I haven't ransacked the big shops in Atlanta yet, maybe I'll have better luck there.

"It was like the Colosseum in Rome and we were the Christians." - Former Georgia Tech Coach Bobby Dodd describes his visit to Tiger Stadium

sevenmag
01-15-2002, 09:49 PM
Welcome Lagniappe :u:

For La Luna try seriouscigars.com and cigarbid.com. You can get singles and five packs there to make sure you like them before jumping off into a box.

As for must try cigars.
ERDM Robusto Larga
Hoyo de Monterry Rothchild in oscuro
Flor de Oliva Grand Maduro, Grand Cameroon and the "O"

Mayorga and Mayorga High Octane
Ramone Allones
Flor de A. Allones
El Rico Habano
La Gloria Cubana and LGC Serie R.

Those should keep you busy for a while.

Proud to be a "BOTL".

mdman
01-15-2002, 09:50 PM
Hey Lagniappe, shoot me your addy and Ill send ya a couple.. they are great cigars! :)

qajariaq
01-15-2002, 09:51 PM
try mdcigars.com or smokeall.com. both sell LL at good prices! :D

Lagniappe
01-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the offer mdman, my addy is on the way.

Sevenmag, I had no idea that Hoyo de Monterrey made an oscuro, I'm gonna have to track some of those down.

Thanks for the welcomes and feedback everyone.

Smokestack Jack
01-15-2002, 10:17 PM
Welcome to CW, Lagniappe. :D

SSJ...Herfin' in the Heartland

greeko26
01-15-2002, 11:32 PM
Welcome Lagniappe. :)

Vegas1
01-16-2002, 03:57 AM
Great to have you join us! :u:

Vegas1
"Viva Las Vegas"

elzorro1955
01-16-2002, 05:57 AM
Welcome! You will love it here. :u: :u:

GO GATORS!!!

Park Bear
01-16-2002, 06:24 AM
Welcome :u:

Padron Anniversary Maduro
Indian Tabac Maduro Fuerte
Punch Rothschild Maduro Maduro
Fuente 858 Maduro

PB

George Patton said during World War II, the object of war isn't to die for your country. It is to make sure the other guy dies for his.

TOJE
01-16-2002, 06:30 AM
Welcome! :u:

Oppie X
01-16-2002, 06:53 AM
Welcome to CW!!!

mrdiver
01-16-2002, 07:09 AM
Nice to meet you, Lag!

Fishin Phil
01-16-2002, 07:13 AM
Welcome to the board! Those are some great suggestions, they've hit all my favorite maduros already. :u:

spiridon
01-16-2002, 07:42 AM
Welcome to CW Lagniappe! Happy to have you here. As Phil said, Most of my favorites have been mentioned
You'll love the Hoyos....always dependable. The La Lunas, ERH, Ramon Allones are among my favorites. You may also want to try a Fiero Negro. Mighty Powerful! :u: :u:

I stay in a place called "Rooms"....there's a whole chain of them.

sprint_67
01-16-2002, 08:17 AM
Welcome to the board. Like you I am new to cigars and I can tell you this is THE place to learn about them.

Sancho Panza
01-16-2002, 08:44 AM
Welcome, how did you come about the name :?: Know what it means, just seems a little differ for a Jawja boy with a Scandanavian last name.

Now if your were from Louisiana, and had a last name ending in deaux... :?:

tbateman
01-16-2002, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the board! I think you'll like it here. A few more suggestions:

HdM Excalibur Prensado
Flamenco Oscuro #5 & #6
JR Ultimate Principale
Onyx Reserve Mini-Belicoso

Tom
--
It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself. -- Admiral Hyman Rickover

Frankhouse
01-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Welcome. I like EL Rey del Mundo Robusto Suprema Oscuro's for the price. On the expensive side I like Padron Anniversario Diplomatico Maduros.

love_this
01-16-2002, 09:16 AM
Welcome.

Must smoke full bodied... Have you tried Ashton VSG's?

Lagniappe
01-16-2002, 10:56 AM
Perhaps it was only me, but I thought the Onyx Reserve Mini-Belicoso was awful. How it got rated a 94 is well beyond my understanding.

The only Ashton VSG I've had so far was the robusto, very nice smoke. I've heard it was the weakest of the VSG's however. I had a belicoso I was waiting to smoke, but the cable guy stole it straight out of my humi while I wasn't watching. :cry:

Sancho, very astute observations. I was born up in Missouri and moved to Georgia around 10 years old. After high school I went to college at LSU. Now I'm back over here in GA working and would love to find a way back to LA. Wonderful place to live, the lifestyle in LA is different from anywhere I've ever been; spanish moss hanging from trees, crawfish boils and abita beer during the summer, Tiger Stadium rocking on a Saturday night. I guess the name is just a referrence to what I took from the culture and the people while I lived there. Or as they like to say, "You can take the boy out of Louisiana, but you can't take the Louisiana out of the boy."

tbateman
01-16-2002, 11:12 AM
Lagniappe, I've had a couple of Mini-Beli's that were funky and I agree about the "94" (if you go in for cA ratings) but as a whole The've been apretty good.

Tom
--
It is necessary for us to learn from others' mistakes. You will not live long enough to make them all yourself. -- Admiral Hyman Rickover

TheRetainer
01-16-2002, 11:30 AM
Welcome from a fellow newcomer. Enjoy your stay, and may it be a long one.

TommyBB
01-16-2002, 12:09 PM
For all you flat-land touristers out there it's pronounced "Lan-yap."

Lagniappe, it's a pleasure to meet ya, brother. Check out my sig-tag and my profile. I bleed purple and gold since I was three, and now so do my sons. Got my Masters in August of 1999 from B.R. I've won quite a few seegars this year thanks to my Tigers whoopin' Aw-burn, the Foul-un-teers, and the Ill-eye-nye ;) ;) Good to have a compadre here.

"You come out of the tunnel. Everyone is screaming. Everyone is going crazy. You can smell the bourbon." LSU QB Rohan Davey on running onto the field in Tiger Stadium

Then you ask yourself, oh sure, but WWTD? WALT!

Edited by - tommybb on 01/16/2002 1:10:43 PM

Lagniappe
01-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Nice to meet ya TommyBB, that quote from Ro is a lot similar to one from Mike Archer. When he was asked to describe the difference between a day game and a night game in BR he said at night you can smell the bourbon on the field. Love it. This area of Georgia has around 10k auburn alum living here. For some reason they don't like my 2001 SEC Champs hat. :dunno:

TommyBB
01-16-2002, 12:27 PM
I went to Mobile last weekend to herf with the Mobile Mafia (spiridon and sevenmag) and I brought them each a t-shirt as well as one for LittleMag . Bright gold, can't miss it.

Interestingly enough, sevenmag is an Auburn fan and spiridon is a 'Bama fan and they both tell me that they would pull for LSU before any other team in the SEC.

"You come out of the tunnel. Everyone is screaming. Everyone is going crazy. You can smell the bourbon." LSU QB Rohan Davey on running onto the field in Tiger Stadium

Edited by - tommybb on 01/17/2002 1:16:02 PM

The Grand Wazoo
01-17-2002, 12:17 AM
Lagniappe, welcome to CW. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I enjoy mine.

These cats have already named most of my favorite cigars.

TommyBB, thanks for the pronunciation lesson. Being a flatland tourist I had no fargin' clue. (Lag-ne-ape would have been my guess.)

The Grand Wazoo ޣ

As you desire, so shall it be.

Loyoyo
01-17-2002, 02:35 AM
Aloha Lagniappe. I think a "must smoke" in the Ashton VSG line would be the Illusion. I don't know Cigar Aficianado rated it, but it's my favorite of the line.

iluvcgars
01-17-2002, 07:54 AM
Welcome to the site buddy :u:

TommyBB
01-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Grand Waz, it means a little something extra. At one time, before corporations were the norm, and everytown looked like every other town, it was a custom here. I daresay it was a custom in most small family owned businesses where the clerk, grocer whoever would give you a little something extra for being a good patron/customer. Sort of like a "baker's dozen."

When I was a kid up until the point I met my wife, I discerned whether or not I had a vocation to the priesthood. The local grocer where we shopped everday for things like bread, milk, cold cuts, fresh vegetables, would give me candy bars for free almost everytime I wanted one. He joked that he hoped I would hear his confession one day, so he was preparing me by giving me lagniappe.

Lagniappe
01-17-2002, 07:21 PM
I guess its a good thing I didn't choose Atchafalaya as my screen name. :lol: That one always gives people problems.

LabRat367
01-17-2002, 08:15 PM
Welcome Lagniappe.....Another Purple & Gold Bleeder here. CHeck out BigOrsons thread about a Herf in N'Awlins Superbowl weekend. Make it if you can. Can't have too many Coonasses on the CWBB.... :wiggle:

TommyBB
01-17-2002, 08:26 PM
What about Tchoupitoulas??

Renaissance Man
01-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Welcome to CW. Glad you're here. :D :D :D

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Sancho Panza
01-18-2002, 08:43 AM
What I want to know, is Nick Saben going to the NFL :?: :?: What's the rumor mill say :?: :?:

TommyBB
01-18-2002, 08:53 AM
It's been awful quiet, what with New Orleans getting the NBA team. He's recently signed and extension, so I doubt that he's leaving anytime soon.

tbateman
01-18-2002, 09:05 AM
Saben will go only if they add a Hair Spray rider on his contact!

Tom
--