PDA

View Full Version : How is the filler made?

love_this
01-11-2002, 03:18 PM
Are the leaves just rolled up?

What about that method where you roll the leaves into little tubes and then assemble with the binder. I read this method creates cigars that smoke slower.

Anybody have input on this? Just curious.

:wiggle:

Fishin Phil
01-11-2002, 03:21 PM
That method is called "Entubar" and has been the cause of much debate and several banishments at another board. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pcotton3
01-11-2002, 03:31 PM
I can't tell you exactly how, but once while I was in New Orleans (one of my favorite places) I went to the smoke shop that has rollers on view. From what I saw, three people sit side by side. Number one selects the filler and removes bad sections of leaf and large veins. Number two takes the filler and wraps a binder that has been sized and checked for quality. Number 3 puts on the wrapper after he trims it and then adds the cap.

Sometimes the DRAGON wins!

Las Villas
01-11-2002, 06:24 PM
What I've seen done is similar to what pcotton just posted but before the wrapper is added they place them into racks where they will be pressed for about 1/2 hour, they will then be rotated for another 1/2 hour...then the wrapper is added and the final cuts towards the foot is done.

"LAS VILLAS"

pcotton3
01-11-2002, 07:57 PM
Correct you are, Las Villas. I forgot about the racks used to press the cigars.

Las Villas
01-11-2002, 08:09 PM
Ok Phil I'll excuse you this time but don't let it happen again!! :rant: :rant: :rant:

"LAS VILLAS"

pcotton3
01-11-2002, 08:18 PM
:bowdown:

Las Villas
01-12-2002, 01:50 PM
:lol: :lol:

"LAS VILLAS"

fvfanmc
01-12-2002, 02:23 PM
I just love it cigars a rolled on the inner thighs of virgins. Don't you?

"The Italian Stallion" fvfanmc

Las Villas
01-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Yea...very tasty!!
A myth to lure money!!

"LAS VILLAS"

TommyBB
01-14-2002, 01:34 PM
In some large factories, the bunchers simply twist the filler leaves, then put them into molds so that they can be the right size for the vitola being made. Then they go to the rollers who will apply the binder and the wrapper...some wrappers may do only binder and the torcedores will apply only the wrapper leaf and the cap. In some factories each roller will do all three, it depends upon the factory.

The master blender tells the bunchers what leaves to put in the filler. Quite often the bunchers don't even know which cigar they are making, just 1 ligero, 1 seco, 2 volado, etc.

"You come out of the tunnel. Everyone is screaming. Everyone is going crazy. You can smell the bourbon." LSU QB Rohan Davey on running onto the field in Tiger Stadium

Then you ask yourself, oh sure, but WWTD? WALT!

BikerJoe
01-14-2002, 01:52 PM
Rolled on the thighs of virgins...................hmmmmmmmmmm.

I would much rather see them rolled tween their boobs...........no hands. By a woman that can make the tassles go in opposit directions at the same time.

Biker :bowdown: :bowdown:

Alan
01-15-2002, 07:11 PM
When it comes to bunching a cigar, there are generaly two ways to that are used in today's manufacturing. One is what you called tubing. That is when you take each leaf and fold it like the the first few steps of making a paper football. You fold the leaf two times, this creats airways for an easy draw. The buncher will put each folded leaf around a ligero leaf which burns slower then the rest of the filler. After a leaf is placed around the center ligero the cigar is turned and the next leaf is placed in the same manner. It is then bound and pressed in mold plates to keep the shap and to conform to size. After it goes in the mold plates and pressed for 15 minutes, it is turneda quarter turn to get rid of the creases the two mold plates make in the tobacco. Then it is finished with a wrapper leaf and trimmed. The other way to bunch a cigar is to "book" it, and that is done by placing many leaves on top of each otherlike pages in a book. Place a center leaf of ligero and roll the tobacco tight, press, finish, trim. A man named Mr. Carlos Fonticiella was the first roller to bring the booking technique to Central America to expediate the bunching process. This cuts the bunching time to about half. With both techniques, if the ligero leaf is not placed in the exact center, you get uneven burning, or running up one side of the cigar. This is more common on booked cigars.

solomr2
01-16-2002, 11:30 PM
I was under the impression that in most filler, the leaves are folded back and forth like a fan, before they apply the binder. This creates good air flow (Channels).

love_this
01-17-2002, 08:13 AM
Interesting.

Ligero leaf burns slower. This confirms what Gael of LL once posted to my query has to why many cigars burn in a cone shape.

Thanks for all the great info, guys !!!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: