PDA

View Full Version : ATK Cookbook 2018

grtrx
01-30-2018, 08:25 AM
ATK = America's Test Kitchen

bought this big old cook book to be my go to basic recipe book... plus it has the recommendations from all the shows on gadgets appliances and ingredients to buy.

It covers from the first season through the current 2018 season.

Interestingly Christopher Kimball is scrubbed from the book. It is as if he is a non person.

Still a good cookbook and at 900 pages it doubles as a hell of a doorstop

BigO
01-30-2018, 08:52 AM
I have the complete set up to Kimball's"departure". I don't really care for either the At or milk street shows, so my collection of their books is pretty much as large as it's likely to get. They are fabulous cookbooks, focused on utility and not glossy photography. Meant to be used and not as coffee table books. If I had to recommend cookbooks to a newbie, I'd go first with Joy of Cooking and then Best Recipe 1&2, and the baking book. The Cook's Country big book is good too, but the recipes in it are a lot like the ones in Betty Crocker's cookbook. Not bad, just not my style most of the time.

BigO
01-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Look up Fannie's Last Supper on Netflix streaming. Kimball and the ATK crew create a dinner party solely from Fannie's cookbook, but only using the equipment from the time of the book and done in Victorian period dress. It's interesting and I think you would enjoy it, Jeff.

grtrx
01-30-2018, 08:03 PM
I will try to find it

Milk Street has gotten better as the season has progressed, I think. ATK just seems off, sometimes it feels like it was lip synched after the filming. I always liked the testing of things on ATK as they were not so much into sponsors.

Now the cook book has the logos of their season sponsors on the inside back cover

BigO
01-31-2018, 03:29 AM
They had the last comprehensive cooking show that appealed to a broad audience of cooks, newbie to veteran. Now it's split into two niche publications.

grtrx
01-31-2018, 06:28 AM
somewhere along the line it went off the tracks, just the wrong feel to it now.... kind of like they are cheerleaders. Maybe it is the food network effect

beevod
01-31-2018, 07:31 AM
I want the Frugal Gourmet back.

grtrx
01-31-2018, 07:42 AM
I don't think his come back is likely

BigO
01-31-2018, 07:49 AM
Given the degree to which they're suing each other, no reconciliation is likely. Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet has long since passed away.

beevod
01-31-2018, 08:17 AM
I know. Workman's "'New Basics Cookbook" is good.

grtrx
01-31-2018, 08:41 AM
too bad Jeff Smith was not a very good cook. But apparently he could do a cooking show non stop with no reshooting scenes.

grtrx
01-31-2018, 09:45 AM
Look up Fannie's Last Supper on Netflix streaming. Kimball and the ATK crew create a dinner party solely from Fannie's cookbook, but only using the equipment from the time of the book and done in Victorian period dress. It's interesting and I think you would enjoy it, Jeff.

Watched it via Amazon Prime... very good... amazing that it took 2 years to go from conception to the dinner.

BigO
01-31-2018, 11:00 AM
Yes, but how much Victorian cookware is still usable and available? I think that would take a lot of time to assemble and install. The clothes aren't as difficult, I would guess. Guess I need to watch it again, it's been a couple of years.

Kinda like my wooden shaft golf clubs. Too valuable to use, more suited for display. I have a bunch of my great grandmother's utensils from roughly that period, but I have them on display in a corner cabinet in my breakfast nook.

grtrx
01-31-2018, 12:27 PM
one point they make repeatedly is that Fannie Farmer assumed her readers knew things we no longer need to know... like older hooves make firmer gelatin.

I cannot imagine cooking on a coal fired stove

BigO
01-31-2018, 01:52 PM
For the record, neither can I. I also would have trouble following her recipes because of her assumptions. We'd have to search pretty hard just to find ingredients that were widely available in her time that aren't easily found today. Like hooves. You can find trotters fairly easily, but cattle hooves are a different thing entirely.

It's interesting to watch someone else do it, but I wouldn't want to be in charge of the kitchen to pull that off.

grtrx
01-31-2018, 03:15 PM
I have actually seen a calves head in a butcher shop. Once.

BigO
02-01-2018, 03:38 AM
Seen sheep's heads at international grosto, but never a calfs head or cattle hooves. Years ago, I had to go to a specialty butcher shop to get veal shanks for Osso Bucco and they were ungodly expensive.

grtrx
02-01-2018, 04:48 AM
we are further from our food than once we were

BigO
02-01-2018, 12:04 PM
I think you could accurately make a case that we sacrificed the variety of meat and veggies to be able to have them year round.

grtrx
02-01-2018, 06:11 PM
I agree - remember when oranges had a season? apples in autumn? a huge amount of European cooking is seasonal.

BigO
02-02-2018, 03:28 AM
On the other hand, international trade and shipping are efficient enough now that you can do things like eat fresh asparagus in December. We didn't get a vote except buying the product.

grtrx
02-02-2018, 03:59 AM
makes you wonder what we could do if we wanted to feed people who are starving

breeding food for long journeys may explain the lack of flavor in a lot of food

BigO
02-02-2018, 05:19 AM
Or like bananas, tomatoes and avocados, picked green and ripened either with gases or in the bin. Did you know that avocados that fall to the ground are considered unsaleable? Imo, they need a byproduct other than guacamole to use those up.

So much of our harvests go to waste because they don't look like the perfect example of the species grown.

grtrx
02-02-2018, 05:39 AM
we like pretty produce, screw the lack of taste... the best tomatoes I have had were ugly as hell

again, we don't raise veggies ourselves anymore so we believe we can have 'perfect' food. You raise it, you are more likely to look past the fact that the tomato is not symmetrical

BigO
02-02-2018, 05:49 AM
I think that this is partially responsible for the whole "farm to table" movement. People who are accustomed to bland produce are amazed at the flavors in freshly harvested ingredients. The chef gets the credit, but the freshness of what they are eating is what really makes the difference.

beevod
02-02-2018, 07:21 AM
Unlike the plastic boxed crap, Strawberries and blueberries straight off the vine are wonderful.

BigO
02-02-2018, 08:29 AM
I have blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries growing. Had a decent crop last year for second year vines. Looking forward to more this summer. Tried strawberries, couldn't keep them.