PDA

View Full Version : Leading off on Brian's lasagna

BigO
11-01-2017, 04:34 PM
What would you think is your signature dish?

For me, it's probably BBQ.

BigJohn
11-02-2017, 06:19 AM
What would you think is your signature dish?

For me, it's probably BBQ.
BBQ is a genre, not a dish.

beevod
11-02-2017, 07:32 AM
A killer meatloaf --

BigO
11-02-2017, 07:50 AM
BBQ is a genre, not a dish.

Well then, I guess that I don't have one.

BigJohn
11-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Well then, I guess that I don't have one.

You do - you just have to find it within yourself to pick a dish from within your genre... For example, your ABT's are off the hook! Personally I think i have the brisket thing dialed in good!

John

BigO
11-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Not to be boastful, but there are so many dishes that I make well that it's really hard to choose one and say that it is mine. Very few of them are original to me. I modify all of the recipes that I use, but the rule is that you have to add 3 ingredients to call it original and that cannot be just adding or subtract the volume of existing ingredients in a recipe.

These days, my specialty is burnt pots.

N8DCJ
11-02-2017, 01:16 PM
While I don't have a particular "dish".... I do really well with my 2" ribeye's and stuffed pork tenderloins too , I get requests for them all the time from my girlfriends daughters and their boyfriends...

BigJohn
11-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Not to be boastful, but there are so many dishes that I make well that it's really hard to choose one and say that it is mine. Very few of them are original to me. I modify all of the recipes that I use, but the rule is that you have to add 3 ingredients to call it original and that cannot be just adding or subtract the volume of existing ingredients in a recipe.

These days, my specialty is burnt pots.
speaking of burnt pots, we need to do those briskets!

BigO
11-03-2017, 10:26 AM
Yeah, but you have way too much on your plate this weekend. I was thinking about doing mine Sunday, and my pit should hold 2. You'd have to trim and season it as you like.

Osmond
11-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Cornish Game Hen.

Olive Oil rubbed into the skin then covered with parsley and garlic salt.

Filled with a ground beef stuffing.

Served with butter/cream cheese/garlic mashed potatoes and either steamed french cut green beans or asparagus.

BigJohn
11-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Cornish Game Hen.

Olive Oil rubbed into the skin then covered with parsley and garlic salt.

Filled with a ground beef stuffing.

Served with butter/cream cheese/garlic mashed potatoes and either steamed french cut green beans or asparagus.
MMM. Ground beef stuffing - that ought to keep it from drying out too much.
sounds really tasty!

BigO
11-03-2017, 11:08 AM
Char siu sausage is great with quail. Wrap a strip of bacon over the breast and glaze with ketjap manis the last 20 minutes of roasting.

jazznut
11-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Cornish hens make for a great meal. I like to halve and roast them, basting them with a Seville orange marmalade, sesame oil and whisky mixture.

One of my favourite meals consists of a low temperature, slowly roasted rack of pork with a spiced Bourbon and honey glaze. I often serve tumeric and lemon (juice plus zest) enhanced basmati rice alongside, as the lemon flavour makes a nice foil to the overall sweetness of the pork.

Briandg
11-05-2017, 06:30 PM
twenty years ago I brought home game hens and I was cooking them on the grill. my daughter saw them and said yuck, what are they, I told her that we were having puppies for supper.

grtrx
11-05-2017, 09:11 PM
I find eels gross people out faster than anything

beevod
11-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Correct. I wouldn't even venture into the same zip code as an eel.

grtrx
11-06-2017, 08:31 AM
oh they are so good! fry the little bastards and toss them with roasted peppers and fried eggs. Utterly delicious. They also make a great tapa! I can post pictures!

beevod
11-06-2017, 08:45 AM
To quote, sort of: The thought of eel can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption. (Feel the same about mushrooms in any form).

grtrx
11-06-2017, 09:27 AM
then I guess the champi at Bar Angel is not for you!

https://www.google.com/search?q=bar+angel+champi&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=lj0FYg35b67wCM%253A%252CglIdc5Ho5K_rZM%252C_&usg=__Wu-O7hMqzokzmY4vkElgJZtVGqA%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjInYGOvKrXAhWZ3oMKHctzAYUQ9QEIPjAE#imgr c=lj0FYg35b67wCM:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bar+angel+champi&tbm=isch&source=iu&pf=m&ictx=1&fir=lj0FYg35b67wCM%253A%252CglIdc5Ho5K_rZM%252C_&usg=__Wu-O7hMqzokzmY4vkElgJZtVGqA%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjInYGOvKrXAhWZ3oMKHctzAYUQ9QEIPjAE#imgr c=lj0FYg35b67wCM:

beevod
11-06-2017, 09:41 AM
To quote Napoleon and General Patton; "L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace." (with certain culinary exceptions)

SLR
11-06-2017, 01:55 PM
I love making Cochinita (pork) pibil. It is Yucatán (Mayan) style BBQ pork. Pretty easy to make. I recently tried the Allrecipes.com recipe, and it was AWESOME. Easy to make. Serve with black beans and Mexican white rice.

Pork Pibil Recipe - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/55069/cochinita-pibil/

Mexican White Rice Recipe - http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/arroz-blanco-mexican-white-rice-130916

Both recipes very easy to make.

beevod
11-06-2017, 03:34 PM
It sounds soooo good.

BigO
11-07-2017, 04:58 AM
Smoking a full packer brisket for tomorrow and many days after. K loves roast beef and not so much BBQ, so we get the best of both worlds that way. Helps also to have gotten it on sale for $2/lb. Had to get my raincheck renewed twice to get it at that price.

N8DCJ
11-07-2017, 06:48 AM
I love making Cochinita (pork) pibil. It is Yucatán (Mayan) style BBQ pork. Pretty easy to make. I recently tried the Allrecipes.com recipe, and it was AWESOME. Easy to make. Serve with black beans and Mexican white rice.

Pork Pibil Recipe - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/55069/cochinita-pibil/

Mexican White Rice Recipe - http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/arroz-blanco-mexican-white-rice-130916

Both recipes very easy to make.

SLR

this looks very similar to Cuban Pork with Mojo .... I will have to give it a try , thanks for posting the link...

Dan

Briandg
11-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Eels are just fish that look funny. how do they taste? Yep, that's what counts.

Snails? sorry, I draw some lines. I don't care if they taste just like clams or whatever, I like my food salted, and I've seen salted snails.

BigO
11-08-2017, 04:54 AM
It's too bad. Escargot are really tasty. You taste more garlic and butter than the snails themselves. If prepared properly, the snails should have a slight tooth, but are tough if overcooked.

Briandg
11-08-2017, 05:28 AM
I almost had sea slug, but they were out. There are just some limits I can't cross. Very few. Nothing unusual,things that many other people can't do, but still, I'm more open minded than most. I won't do lungs, but I've done heart an kidney, and other weird stuff.my problems mostly center on texture and taboo. I never thought that sashimi could be good.

grtrx
11-08-2017, 06:52 AM
I had razor clams last night in Spain. Brian you saw the pics on FB I think. Out of the shell they look like giant snot. But they taste like the ocean.

Last year they had barnacles, but they were so bleeding expensive I didn't order them.

Eels, I get the gross thing. You can see their bulgy little eyes. But they do taste great. Actually not much flavor at all. Now anchovies, there is some flavor there. Wow.