PDA

View Full Version : Cat head biscuits and wildflower honey

BigO
06-18-2017, 04:02 AM
When it really comes down to points, is there a more satisfying breakfast?

I love pancakes, waffles, eggs, sausage and hash browns, but give me a big ole cathead biscuit and some wildflower honey and I am a happy guy.

SLR
06-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Yep, cat head biscuits and honey, match made in heaven. I also enjoy strawberry jam with these biscuits. And for the trifecta, sausage gravy over these biscuits works for me.

ElkTwin
06-18-2017, 06:44 PM
Jeebus Christ you can't be serious. They have GLUTEN! Think of the children.

tedski
06-18-2017, 06:50 PM
http://spinachtiger.com/gluten-free-biscuit-fluffy/

BigJohn
06-19-2017, 06:48 AM
I've eaten more than my fair share. Got introduced to those things 30 years ago when I moved to Georgia, was working at a car dealer in Lithia Springs. A place there called Martins, I think, served a huge biscuit with fried pork tenderloin on it. Mmmm.

I don't eat much bread anymore, but when I do, it's RYE bread or a biscuit. And it better be a damned good biscuit. I like the flaky layered northern style biscuits too.

BigO
06-19-2017, 07:28 AM
It's funny, but the real secret to a flaky biscuit is how you cut them. If you twist the biscuit cutter as yo cut them out of the dough, they never rise properly.

I'm pleased that my girls are making me biscuits and honey for breakfast today. Yesterday was a terrible Father's Day and we are trying 2.0 today.

BigO
06-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Speaking of honey, I really miss sevenmag's goldenrod honey. It was too strong to be marketable, but good Lord it was it good. AFAIAC, there's no such thing as a honey that is too strongly flavored. Sure wish he was back in Alabama making more.

sevenmag
06-19-2017, 04:05 PM
I do miss my bees, and I certainly miss my friends back on the Gulf Coast. That honey was special. Dark and very flavorful. I loved it. I took a red ribbon at the fair with it one year.

SLR
06-20-2017, 06:49 AM
I do miss my bees, and I certainly miss my friends back on the Gulf Coast. That honey was special. Dark and very flavorful. I loved it. I took a red ribbon at the fair with it one year.

Your honey sounds amazing. Is there a honey similar to yours that can be found online?

sevenmag
06-22-2017, 07:14 AM
I can't say about online, but the best thing to do usually is to find a local supply of any wildflower honey. Generally, if a bee keeper does not keep his hives on a specific source of nectar, they'll label it wild flower. The golden rod I did was a fall source and I had access to large field of it.

It's usually much more flavorful and robust than something like the clover honey you can find in a grocery store.

BigO
06-23-2017, 06:05 AM
I am fortunate to not only have a local source of honey, but Costco carries it at a very good price by the quart. Could send you some if you are interested. It's not as good as Todd's, but still miles above the cooking honey you get at the grosto.

BigO
06-23-2017, 06:37 AM
Or you can order it direct

www.georgiahoneyfarm.com

SLR
06-23-2017, 04:07 PM
I picked up this honey at Smart n Final. It is really sweet, and the best wildflower honey I have tried. Any of you guys try this honey? If so, how does it compare to some of the good stuff you are talking about here?

https://d2lnr5mha7bycj.cloudfront.net/product-image/file/large_d0f98308-b223-440b-80f2-5d7ba50b85d3.jpg

BigO
06-23-2017, 06:26 PM
Color is close to Todd's. I will look for it, but there's a site out there devoted to honeys of the world.

grtrx
06-25-2017, 10:18 AM
if Brian had started this thread I never ever would have opened it