PDA

View Full Version : ISO Authentic Jerk Pork Recipe

dylanh
03-28-2017, 06:22 AM
Thanks in advance!

BigO
03-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Many years back, I did a whole article on jerk. I hate that we have so much trouble with the archive. I'll see if I can locate it.

BigO
03-28-2017, 07:22 AM
This isn't mine, but it is a reasonable facsimile. You can always start with a little pepper and add it to your taste. One warning: "Hot in, hot coming out."

Jerk Chicken

8-10 Chicken legs

10-12 Scotch bonnet pepper or Habanero
You can't back off on this ingredient or switch to a milder pepper. This gives it heat but it also is the main flavor of the paste.

2 bunches of green onion

2-3 thyme springs
you'll need to run your fingers down the sprig to remove the small leaves

ginger
about a heaping teaspoon when graded

garlic
3-5 cloves depending on your liking

Citrus and Vinegar
Its more of a good squeeze of each half then ringing out all the juices.
1/2 lemon
1/2 lime
1/2 orange
1/2 cup vinegar

Allspice. About 45 berries ground in the spice mill.

Cinnamon. About an 1/8 of a teaspoon.

1 tablespoon of brown sugar
it just rounds out the flavors a bit

pepper
A few good grinds from your pepper mill

about 1 tablespoon soy sauce

1-2 tablespoons salt
It needs to be fairly salty. This is hard to gauge as you need to taste the mixture and it is blazing hot. If you have ever tasted a commercial jerk sauce straight up you'll notice that it's very salty.

Mix all the ingredient in a blender or with a hand blender to make a paste. Make slashes both sides of the chicken and pour 3/4 of the mixture over the meat and marinade over night. I like to cook the chicken indirectly and then finish it off over direct coals. Use the remaining jerk paste and mix it with half a beer and baste the chicken pieces as they cook.

dylanh
03-29-2017, 07:17 AM
Thanks BigO! That looks pretty damn good. I love heat in my food and am not scared of scotch bonnet peppers! I'll let you know how it goes!

D

mike s
03-29-2017, 04:47 PM
I love heat in my food and am not scared of scotch bonnet peppers! I'll let you know how it goes!

D

;) I will keep that in mind this growing season muhahhahahahahhaaaaaaaa.