PDA

View Full Version : Soup - Bean - Not Your Usual

grtrx
03-24-2017, 07:26 AM
I made soup from alubias tolosanas... these are sort of kidney beans from the Basque country. They are almost black (actually very deep purple).

Soak beans at least 24 hours

Cook onion, pepper, garlic, bacon and pork (I used a blade steak, a ham hock would work). You want the pork browned a bit, and the onion pepper and garlic soft but not browned.

Add beans, chicken stock and the pork/bacon/onion/etc to a pot. Add some smoked paprika (sweet) or pimenton and ground pepper, cover beans (I added chicken stock to top it off). Cook until the beans are getting tender (this took me at least 45 minutes at a good simmer). Add chorizo (the kind that looks like andouille sausage, which would make a good sub) adn blood sausage (I used blutwurst cut into chunks) and another pinch of pimenton or paprika cook at least 30 minutes more.

Correct for salt and pepper

Serve

It is densely flavored stuff, and really tasty. I suggest beano before eating.

BigO
03-24-2017, 09:32 AM
Basque comfort food. I like it.

grtrx
03-24-2017, 10:32 AM
like all things Spanish, you can riff on it pretty easily. I did not give a detailed recipe as it is really just a play with it recipe meant to allow you to have some fun.

SLR
03-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Sounds great :u:

KatDad
03-26-2017, 04:53 PM
Sounds great :u:

:yep:

You had me at Soup - Bean

grtrx
03-26-2017, 05:56 PM
I am considering modifications for the next round, but it seems we are having an early spring so the next round may wait until autumn

This is pork and beans in a very Basque way so I am thinking scraps of Serrano ham would add some real depth. So too would some heat from a any of a variety of peppers, Basque has its own varieties of peppers - guarnadilla pickled peppers seem an obvious choice

as always a recipe is either a suggestion or a starting point

last thing, pair this with good Spanish hard cider... oh my