PDA

View Full Version : Bacon Jam!

BigO
03-21-2017, 07:29 AM
By request, posting the recipe for bacon jam:

- Two onions sliced thin and cooked until just starting to caramelize.
- Rendered about 1.5lbs of bacon until just starting to crisp.
- Drained fat except for a tablespoon worth then added the onions, 2 large cloves of garlic, and cooked for two mins.
- Mixed half a cup of coffee, 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/2 tsp chili flakes. Added to onion mixture. Salt and pepper.
- Added bacon to this. Bring up to a boil, reduce to low, cook for 1.5-2 hours.

Will post more when done. Here is a teaser of it reducing.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2rcvsbd.jpg

If you are going to make this, save your pennies and buy bacon ends and pieces. Much more cost effective. If I could lock in a cheap bacon source, this would easily be a great commercial product for BigOrson's.

http://i47.tinypic.com/4jb76.jpg

Recipe and pictures aren't my own, but I've made this several times (with a few tweaks) with similar results.

Fantastic on a cheeseburger or grilled cheese sammitch.

N8DCJ
03-21-2017, 10:21 AM
I have made this from Jason's recipe , trust me its good stuff !!!
Dan

vernonator
03-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Will have to give it a try, just put another hog in the freezer and it came with 42lbs of bacon...yes....Forty.Two.Pounds., he was a BIG boy. That on top of the 10-12lbs we had left from the last hog means we have ALOT of bacon to eat :drool:

Briandg
03-21-2017, 01:26 PM
That always sounds good.

I read a few weeks ago that bacon fatt was mixed with molasses or sorghum for a bread spread. It doesn't sound so bat, if the alternative is dry hardback.

BigO
03-21-2017, 02:46 PM
I have another recipe from Southern Living that uses sorghum. It's really hard to find here and it is quite expensive. The recipe I posted is better, IMO.

beevod
03-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Bacon jam -- The premier cure for poor misguided vegetarians.

flipflop
03-21-2017, 03:01 PM
I have made this from Jason's recipe , trust me its good stuff !!!
Dan

I concur. :u:

vernonator
03-22-2017, 05:21 AM
Going to do a batch this weekend - supposed to be rainy so it will be the kitchen and the shop for me.

Briandg
03-22-2017, 07:13 AM
I have another recipe from Southern Living that uses sorghum. It's really hard to find here and it is quite expensive. The recipe I posted is better, IMO.

They grow it here, and it's easy to find at a low price.

I just looked on Amazon and my jaw is on the floor.

grtrx
03-22-2017, 08:37 AM
They grow it here, and it's easy to find at a low price.

I just looked on Amazon and my jaw is on the floor.

Yep. I had the same experience. Thank god for the farmers market.

Chef Eddie Lee is a big fan of sorghum, supposedly stopped using honey once he experienced it.

Briandg
03-22-2017, 09:56 AM
I sure can't make an honest statement for current prices, but really, you used to be able to pick up cans of two pounds, even gallon jugs, at a reasonable price. There really is no excuse for those prices.it should sell in the range of other agricultural based syrups like molasses, corn syrup. It should cost a hell of a lot less than honey, real maple syrup, agave, etc.

They were all the same product under the skin sugary juice is extracted from ag products and boiled down, and cost should depend on two things, two things only. Cost of the root product, and supply/demand. Jeez, sorghum plants are animal food. Boiling costs are identical in most cases. Two bucks an ounce for some sorghum, you can find any of the others ranging from twenty upwards.

It's nuts, but people will do strange things.

BigO
03-23-2017, 06:01 AM
I'm old enough to remember gallon jugs of "soghurm molasses" (at the Piggly Wiggly, no less, when you filled your 'buggy' from items picked off the shelves by clerks) (what a trip down memory lane... I was a member of the first non segregated class of students to graduate high school in 1985)? Saugum (as it was pronounced back then) was cheaper than sugar and used interchangeably for it, and plentifull. Last time I looked for it, I could only find it at Whole foods at roughly$30 a gallon.

Another reminder of how much time has changed. Steens cane syrup is cheaper here. A 12 oz brick of crawfish tails is $12, too.

BigO
03-23-2017, 06:21 AM
Jeez, I'm old enough to remember segregated water fountains in Alabama, and that was as late as 1975. Damn, I'm getting old.