PDA

View Full Version : I love seafood

mannish
08-18-2016, 06:23 AM
I was in Fairhope a couple weekends ago (great place) and was in orange beach last weekend -I love that seafood...although I cook it as good or better than most resturants

I went through bon secour and got some nice fresh shrimp and beautiful red snapper - Bon Secour interesting place

I envy you folks that have access to fresh seafood

I could live in Fairhope enjoyed being there

macsauce13
08-18-2016, 06:35 AM
Me too, me too. Just about all of it.

And I resemble your remarks, I feel I cook about as well as any average joint. I'd put my filet and scallops up against anyone, even you BigO! ;)

BigO
08-18-2016, 07:38 AM
I love seafood too, but who can afford it? Catfish is $6/lb. and it goes up from there. Tilapia is cheaper, but who want to eat tilapia? It's like a chicken breast and remains a fish for people who don't like fish. Even on sale, Salmon is still $7-10/lb. Cod is the same, flounder, grouper, snapper and halibut start at $13/lb. I saw some beautiful halibut at Costco a couple of weeks ago, but even in bulk and with the discount it was $20/lb. Shrimp? Forget about it. You can get lobster for damn near the same price. Crawfish? Enjoy chewing on a mouthful of sand and still get ripped off.

jazznut
08-18-2016, 08:00 AM
We tend to stick to NW Pacific, NE Atlantic and inland lake (i.e. mostly Canadian fishery, and definitely NOT anything from the Far East) produce.

Wild Pacific sockeye is a personal favourite. Atlantic salmon (even when farmed) is pretty decent. Shrimp from the Gulf of St-Lawrence is tasty. And clams and mussels can also be a treat. Lake trout and Arctic char are, more often than not, delectable. Our fish selections are rounded out by sole, halibut and turbot. Oh yeah... fresh scallops, too (expensive, but a little goes a long way).

I find, when preparing good quality seafood, that simpler is usually better.

Briandg
08-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Even simple rainbow trout grilled with butter is a treat. Not so much with farm raised. They're best with bugs still in the belly when you clean them, then cooked that night.

Briandg
08-18-2016, 08:02 AM
I'd love to someday find bay scallops for less th a twenty per pound.

grtrx
08-18-2016, 08:34 AM
I had salmon last night, will have crab cakes tonight. I was grooving on mussels (from Canada) for quite a while... and I could get those for 5 bucks a pound, yes the yield is low (shell heavy, meat light), but you cook them quickly in white wine, garlic, a little vermouth... and serve with pasta. A lot of flavor in them.

Hoping to have oysters this weekend. I was in NYC at Grand Central Oyster Bar in July and about ate myself stupid on fresh oysters.

beevod
08-18-2016, 08:38 AM
Easy to do at the Oyster Bar

BigO
08-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Much as I love raw oysters with some lemon, cocktail and Tabasco on them, they're too much of a risk for me to eat them anymore. Enjoy a dozen or so for me, Jeff.

mannish
08-18-2016, 09:30 AM
I love seafood too, but who can afford it? Catfish is $6/lb. and it goes up from there. Tilapia is cheaper, but who want to eat tilapia? It's like a chicken breast and remains a fish for people who don't like fish. Even on sale, Salmon is still $7-10/lb. Cod is the same, flounder, grouper, snapper and halibut start at $13/lb. I saw some beautiful halibut at Costco a couple of weeks ago, but even in bulk and with the discount it was $20/lb. Shrimp? Forget about it. You can get lobster for damn near the same price. Crawfish? Enjoy chewing on a mouthful of sand and still get ripped off.

I ain't eating tilapia

The price is crazy - Someone said Orange beach-Gulf Shores was getting 11-12 lb for shrimp, in Bon Secour it was off the boat at half that price....I dropped 150 bucks reasl easy mostly on the snapper. I got home vacuum sealed & froze it. I could have easily spent 3 or 400 at that place...Billys in Bon Secour.

Reading about the limits & permits placed on Red Snapper it's no surprise that's it's expensive - Alleged fisherman make good money by selling or renting their snapper permit and not fishing

grtrx
08-18-2016, 12:00 PM
Much as I love raw oysters with some lemon, cocktail and Tabasco on them, they're too much of a risk for me to eat them anymore. Enjoy a dozen or so for me, Jeff.

will do Jason... the plce I am aiming for has a mignonette sauce and house made hotsauce that are both effing fantastic my dad is forbidden from eating shellfish now by my mom and sister. Broke my heart that I cannot make him mussels anymore.

jazznut
08-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Fresh Malpeques on the half shell (with or without pepper sauce on the side) and a dram of Talisker makes for a lovely combo. A cold glass of Chablis alongside also works.

beevod
08-18-2016, 02:39 PM
I've had malpeques from PEI with Guinness AND a dram (no, wait) drum of single malt (Balvenie)....makes one believe in a Higher Power.

flipflop
08-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Also had malpeques in PEI. Pure heaven.

gumby
08-18-2016, 04:58 PM
I am not much of a fish guy except for salmon and sea bass.
Well, and some fish smelling parts of the ladies.

fvfanmc
08-19-2016, 05:34 AM
I like all sorts of fish including shell fish. I like sea snails but not sand snails.

Briandg
08-19-2016, 06:46 AM
I had salmon last night, will have crab cakes tonight. I was grooving on mussels (from Canada) for quite a while... and I could get those for 5 bucks a pound, yes the yield is low (shell heavy, meat light), but you cook them quickly in white wine, garlic, a little vermouth... and serve with pasta. A lot of flavor in them.

Hoping to have oysters this weekend. I was in NYC at Grand Central Oyster Bar in July and about ate myself stupid on fresh oysters.
One of the better memories of being with my dad was when we were in DC for vacation. He took me to an oyster bar on the shore. I was only 18 or so, and that was probably the first time he treated me like an adult, a peer, and we sat there eating raw clams and oysters. Just us two.

Got to try the mussel recipe, I know that they're easy enough to find here and not too expensive, and i've had them in a number of recipes before. Not the white wine comation, though.

almost ten years ago, I took the kids to a chinese place. They served octopus, little guys about the size of a ping pong ball. The daughter kept complaining about me as I consumed them, so being the mature adult I was, I took the last one and stood it on the table, looking at her.

TommyBB
08-19-2016, 07:24 AM

This. It's a touch cheaper here, but not by a whole lot. The shrimp are certainly cheaper, but even still, it's not something in the grocery rotation. Stogie5150 has a guy for crabs and shrimp. But Lake Pontchartrain Blue Crabs, the #1s go for at least $30 a dozen IN SEASON. The #2s are certainly big enough and WAY less expensive. Keith got 'em two weeks ago for #10.00 per dozen.

The #1s are so high because Louisiana crab fishermen sell them and export them to Maryland, as our crabs are superior and have better flavor. They get a better price for them this way.

Briandg
08-19-2016, 07:34 AM
One of my wife's greatest regrets is that we didn't go to new orleans when we lived in memphis.

Good god, lady, we never evven went to beal street when we lived there. She has regrets about new orleans, but not the magnificent things in memphis? She did, however, get to the elvis mansion. Her friend dragged her their.

Oh, I forgot. Someone drove us past the krispy kreme headquarters.

grtrx
08-19-2016, 08:15 AM
brian, the recipe as much as there is one...

boil water for pasta...

in another heavy pan heat olive oil, toss in garlic +/- onion +/- shallot and soften it

add mussels, some vermouth (white/dry) or some white wine (dry). Cover pot.

toss pasta in the boiling water

every couple of minutes check the mussels. When most are opened they are done. Scoop out mussels into a bowl. retain liquid in pan. Reduce liquid (and add more vermouth if you want). Add some pepper, salt (only if needed), consider herbs like parsley, and maybe a touch of hot sauce or red pepper flake

toss drained pasta with the mussel liquid, plate pasta, toss mussels on top

eat with gusto

grtrx
08-19-2016, 08:15 AM
don't over cook the mussels, you want them nice and juicy, not rubber band chewy

grtrx
08-19-2016, 08:16 AM
ordering naked cowboys at an oyster bar is an odd experience

BigO
08-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Save the first mussel shell you empty and use it as a claw to pick the meat out of the others. Much easier to eat that way.

Briandg
08-20-2016, 02:03 AM
brian, the recipe as much as there is one...

boil water for pasta...

in another heavy pan heat olive oil, toss in garlic +/- onion +/- shallot and soften it

add mussels, some vermouth (white/dry) or some white wine (dry). Cover pot.

toss pasta in the boiling water

every couple of minutes check the mussels. When most are opened they are done. Scoop out mussels into a bowl. retain liquid in pan. Reduce liquid (and add more vermouth if you want). Add some pepper, salt (only if needed), consider herbs like parsley, and maybe a touch of hot sauce or red pepper flake

toss drained pasta with the mussel liquid, plate pasta, toss mussels on top

eat with gusto

I hadn't checked back on this thread until now. I love shallots. I'm going to have to put this together. there's a store here that carries some fresh frozen seafood, decent quality, and if I can't find mussels there, they have clams sometimes. I know, it's not the same, but it'll work.

Ive never been able to get it straight. Are the oysters dead? how do they die? do they have little oyster guns, poison, electric shock, or is it from being dragged into the air?

There was an old guy who was district manager where I workded when I was down in memhis. he told me a story about a dinner meeting with a group, and ordering oysters for them all. Then he told one of the guys about what he was eating.

"you feel that little firm part? that's his balls. That really squishy part that feels a little pasty? that's where it craps.You're eating it all, guy."

Crazy old guy. A cuban

fvfanmc
08-20-2016, 03:06 AM
don't over cook the mussels, you want them nice and juicy, not rubber band chewy

I like to steam the mussels, then add them to pasta sauce over some spaghetti.

TommyBB
08-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Oh Mike, that sounds great.

Brian, ideally, the oyster doesn't die until your stomach acid immolates him.
I don't think he has balls, so nothing to worry about.

Jason will weigh in on this, too, look for IQF seafood. I forget what the I stands for, but the QF is for quick-frozen. That means they're flash-frozen on the boat the second whatever it is comes out of the water.

SmoKerch
08-21-2016, 06:27 PM
I am not much of a fish guy except for salmon and sea bass.
Well, and some fish smelling parts of the ladies.
Bearded clams?

Jester
08-22-2016, 02:54 AM
Jason will weigh in on this, too, look for IQF seafood. I forget what the I stands for, but the QF is for quick-frozen. That means they're flash-frozen on the boat the second whatever it is comes out of the water.

Individually Quick Frozen (IQF) is a process where the food is not only frozen close to the source in the case of seafood but it is also separated from other pieces so they don't stick together. If you check a bag of IQF and you can not feel the individual pieces in the bag then it has thawed and refrozen somewhere along the chain from IQF to you. Leave it be.

Also done with veg, and is a far superior product/process IMNSHO.

Best,
J.

Sancho Panza
08-22-2016, 03:16 AM
Knew an old Army Retired Colonel once who worked in a fish market.

Said his job was to "un-thaw the fresh shrimp".

BigO
08-22-2016, 03:46 AM
If I can't get to Smyrna for fresh, head-on shrimp at the International Farmer's Market, I go for the IQF at the grocery. Unfortunately, they're so expensive that the only time we really get our fill of them is on Christmas Eve, where shrimp cocktail is a long-standing family tradition.

Used to buy live blue crabs there as well, but K made me stop because she says they're too small. In NOLA, we'd call them gumbo crabs, but I sautee them in the wok with pepper sauces to make Singapore chili crab. The stock from the leftover shells makes an awesome soup later.

Yet another thing left behind. We used to catch enough crabs in the traps out by the Camp that we could feed an army. Great way to use kitchen scraps and upgrade a meal.

grtrx
08-22-2016, 08:16 AM
brian, you get used to the faint scream of the oysters after a while, a little horseradish really makes you forget about them