PDA

View Full Version : Two Fat Ladies Remembered

TommyBB
03-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Saveur (http://www.saveur.com/two-fat-ladies-best-food-tv-show?src=SOC&dom=fb)just posted this article a couple hours ago (March 15, 2016) and I know Jason loved them, and so did I. They were wonderful cooks, and lovely story-tellers who had the knack. They were just what cooking TV should be.

Iíve never cooked from a Two Fat Ladies recipe (you can find a bunch here), and have never felt like I have to, because pedagogy isnít the point (and they never measured ingredients on camera anyhow). But if you watch enough episodes, you start to see how inspiring the women really were. Dickson Wright spends one episode recalling her time in Quercy, a former French province in the truffle-producing region of Perigord, while spreading a wad of dough microns-thin across an enormous table cloth. By the time she covers it with macerated apples (macerrrrating, she trills with great exaggeration) and rolls it up into a fat spiral, Iím craving not just Quercyan apple cake, tinged with orange blossom and lemon zest, but a trip to Quercy itself, to figure out what else the hell theyíre cooking in this part of the world Iíd never heard of before.

Jester
03-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Way cool Tommy, thanks.

I love the show when I can find it. Will watch it again and again. Demonstrates how you don't have to be a rocket surgeon in order to be a successful cook. Just understand the principles and flavors.

Great show!

Best,
J.

BigO
03-15-2016, 12:16 PM
They had passion for what they were doing and didn't give two whits about ratings. That's why they were infectious. It also says a great deal about the state of cooking shows in the new millenium.

Julia was the same way. How many times did she drop something on a floor, cock up an omelette and just toss it in the bin and keep going. It wasn't her perfection, but her passion.

flipflop
03-15-2016, 01:28 PM
I loved those two old broads. Entertaining as hell.