PDA

View Full Version : The difference between sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie...

Wankel
11-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Is that one is made with sweet potatoes and the other is made from pumpkins.

KatDad
11-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Thank you Captain Obvious. :wink:

Briandg
11-25-2015, 10:03 AM
There is another difference. SP pie is a southern delicacy, much as sheep eyeballs are to other backwards cultures. SP pie is made of foods that normally went into the dishes of the primitives who farmed and fed on them. If I remember, it is the state pie of south Carolina.

Pumpkin pie has been around for centuries,a tradition begun not long after our nation began with the first colonists who trudged off of that ship. At this point,year around, I can walk into any store in my little town and find it. It's loved nationwide.

SP pie is a dish for social outliers who t transcend normality and custom, and those who can afford ratty bags of then for a quarter per pound, but find pumpkin out of their price range.

This is not to be taken seriously. It is a comment on social standards. It is meant to be sarcasm.

No flames.

gumby
11-25-2015, 11:58 AM
I love both:

BigO
11-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Technically, the main ingredient difference between the two(besides the obvious) is allspice in PP. I prefer the sweetness of SWP personally, but it has been an acquired taste from living many years in the South.

Chocolate pecan is my favorite, but I still love an old Pennsylvania Dutch shoo-fly pie too. I'm not much into cakes, but I love pies.

gumby
11-25-2015, 02:26 PM
Our restaurant makes the best pecan pie I've ever had. Never had chocolate pecan, I'll have to ask them to make me one.:yum:

Wankel
11-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Ich liebe both types...
That chocolate pecan one sounds good too.
After we moved up nawth, shoo-fly pie was on my list of things to try. I'd have to eat a few more before I can say whether I like them or not.
Ma Wankel used to make brown sugar pies this time of the year.

Jester
11-25-2015, 03:10 PM
Chocolate pecan is my favorite...

Coincidentally, I have one of those cooling as we speak.

:drool:

J.

hermit
11-25-2015, 03:41 PM
I saw the thread title and I was so excited...I knew the answer.
Then you ruined it in the first damn post. Hope you choke on a wishbone. :bitchslap:

BigO
11-25-2015, 04:39 PM
Gumby -

Use the recipe for pecan pie on the back of the Karo dark label, but sub a chocolate liqueur for the vanilla and make the pecans and chocolate chips 50/50.

Bake it in an oreo crust and you've found Valhalla. Still good in a regular crust, but the oreo or graham crust makes it oh so better. More like a tart than a pie.

In case it makes any difference to your adult palate, Godiva liqueur is the best. Creme de cacao can be substituted.

gumby
11-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Excellent JASON, excellent!

KatDad
11-26-2015, 03:07 AM
I love both:

Me too. :yum:

Jester
11-26-2015, 04:40 AM
Gumby -

Use the recipe for pecan pie on the back of the Karo dark label, but sub a chocolate liqueur for the vanilla and make the pecans and chocolate chips 50/50.

Bake it in an oreo crust and you've found Valhalla. Still good in a regular crust, but the oreo or graham crust makes it oh so better. More like a tart than a pie.

In case it makes any difference to your adult palate, Godiva liqueur is the best. Creme de cacao can be substituted.

After that you can play even more if you wish. I like to add Cayenne to wake up the ole tasters a bit, maybe dry Cocoa to deepen the chocolate. Espresso powder, Bittersweet morsels etc. It is a fun pie to play with and it is hard to make a bad one.

:hypno:
J.