PDA

View Full Version : More mouth-watering recipes from BigO

jazznut
10-26-2015, 04:56 AM
This week's featured article on the Cigar Weekly Home Page marks installment No. 22 of Jason's (BigO's) Virtual Gormand column!

This time around, BigO offers up a handful of quickbread recipes that are sure to please, as well as a little background on his great-grandmother Elsie's (the source for those recipes) fascinating life.

Have a look-see, and be ready to experience an increase in your hunger. :yum:

Easy and Tasty Quickbreads (http://www.cigarweekly.com/index.php/65-cwfeature/224-vg22-quickbreads)

Rob G
10-26-2015, 05:07 AM
Good work Jason. I love the history.

And now I have a craving for the Easy Blueberry Muffins. :yum:

KatDad
10-26-2015, 05:08 AM
The pumpkin nut bread and the blueberry muffins. :drool:

Jester
10-26-2015, 11:44 AM
:u:

Unfortunately my grandmothers and the one great grand that I remember still being spry enough to be in the kitchen never wrote anything down and did it all by eye and feel.

Makes it frustrating for me trying to duplicate those ethereal quick breads they used to throw together at the spur of the moment.

Ahhh I long for the lard and bacon grease days...

Best,
J.

TommyBB
10-27-2015, 05:23 AM
I was at a gro-sto in Cajun Country a couple weeks ago. Best Stop in Scott Louisiana, for a fix of cracklins, boudin, homemade jerky and boudin balls.
Welp, Jeff, they sell their own lard....

It can be found.

Jester
10-27-2015, 07:28 AM
I was at a gro-sto in Cajun Country a couple weeks ago. Best Stop in Scott Louisiana, for a fix of cracklins, boudin, homemade jerky and boudin balls.
Welp, Jeff, they sell their own lard....

It can be found.

Their own is the key. You can find lard in the grosto here but it is played with enough for shelf stability that it is no longer the same stuff granny used.

I'll score some eventually, then will be the battle with the spousal for permission to actually use it in my baking.

:o)
J.

flipflop
10-27-2015, 08:07 AM
...then will be the battle with the spousal for permission to actually use it in my baking

Just use it and remember...

Tis easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact than to get permission up front. :mrgreen:

KatDad
10-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Tis easier to ask for forgiveness after the fact than to get permission up front. :mrgreen:

Words to live by! :yep:

Sancho Panza
10-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Blueberry muffin recipe looks wonderful.

How 'bout a bis sit recipe?

Can't find one everybody likes that doesn't come out of a Pioneer box...

BigO
10-27-2015, 11:23 AM
I have some good ones, but the best comes on the back of a White Lily flour bag. They are a lot of work, though. White Lily flour is ideal for biscuits--it was created for them--because of the way it is ground and the gluten content it contains. Lard or shortening as your fat, nothing else.

Served with some wild honey (stronger the better--sevenmag used to raise bees for honey and would give me the goldenrod honey that was too strong to sell, but I loved it. Funny that I'm allergic to goldenrod but not the honey made from it), you can't get much better.

Sancho Panza
10-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks, will try White Lily; I still have some sevenmag honey.

Jester
10-27-2015, 01:02 PM
Funny that I'm allergic to goldenrod but not the honey made from it), you can't get much better.

Pretty common actually. Spousal unit goes so far as to seek out local honey when we arrive someplace new in hopes it will reduce her sensitivities to the new allergens. Homeopathic/anecdotal I know but she figgers it can't hurt.

:dunno:

Best,
J.

Jester
10-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Just use it and remember...

I suppose that is true, especially when the product is measurably improved over the "healthy" version.

:o)
J.

flipflop
10-27-2015, 03:01 PM
About once every one or two months, I make a dish that ruptures the cholesterol meter.

As long as one watches what you eat 95% of the time, one total blow out every 30-60 days is fine.

And I live for that one day. :yum:

flipflop
10-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Doctor: You are incredibly healthy. Your tests came back indicating you have the body of a man 45. And you're... 75 years of age. Amazing.

Patient: It's all about clean living.

Doctor: What's your secret?

Patient: I never used tobacco. Alcohol has never touched my lips. I have never eaten red meat, pork or chicken. I only eat organic vegetables and fruit. Fish I only eat once a month. I take in no refined sugar and never touch baked goods made with white flour. And I've never wasted time trying to get women into bed.

Doctor: So what is your goal?

Patient: I want to break the record for the oldest person who ever lived.

Doctor: What the fuck for?

beevod
10-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Healthy eating rules:
1. Never eat with your mouth full.
2. Inside every nutritionist is a pastry chef screaming to get out.