PDA

View Full Version : Sauerkraut

Osmond
08-07-2015, 08:01 AM
I had to pick up some sauerkraut from the store the other day. There were a couple of different brands plus the store brand.

I don't purchase sauerkraut that often so how did I decide which brand to get? Price - No. Label - No. Container Size - No.

Made in Wisconsin - Yes!

Some things you just buy based on where it comes from and I figure those Cheeseheads with their brats and baseball sausage races must know something about kraut.

Now if it was Salsa - New York City ----NOT!!

flipflop
08-07-2015, 08:13 AM
My fav is a kosher kraut made by Ba-Tampte. It comes cold, in a plastic bag. I get it at Kroger. Their pickles are great, too.

BigO
08-07-2015, 08:59 AM
In a pinch, the jarred brand by Claussen will work. Concur with P on the plastic bag brand @ Kroger. Wife doesn't like sauerkraut, but eats up the bagged brand with a couple of apples and some onions.

KatDad
08-08-2015, 04:24 AM
Cold kraut on sammiches. :yum:

Churchill
08-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Another vote for the bag in the refrigerated pickle section vs the shelf stable can or jar. And no caraway.:u:

SmoKerch
08-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Another vote for the bagged variety.

OregonDuck
08-08-2015, 09:40 PM
I like it but prefer to have it with chili, garlic, onion and call it kimchi.

BigO
08-09-2015, 04:46 AM
Another vote for the bag in the refrigerated pickle section vs the shelf stable can or jar. And no caraway.:u:

I'm just curious (because I grew up in a German/Dutch family where caraway was an integral part of flavor to kraut), what is your beef with caraway seed in kraut?

It isn't that I'm trying to be judgmental, or anything, I just have a hard time thinking of sauerkraut without caraway seed in it. I have a passionate dislike for cumin and cilantro, so I can understand that. I just can't imagine a caraway-less kraut. Truth be told, sauerkraut is about the only dish I can think of that I even keep caraway seed around for.

BigO
08-09-2015, 04:48 AM
I like it but prefer to have it with chili, garlic, onion and call it kimchi.

As much as I love kimchi (and Korean food in general), I can't equitably compare it with the flavor of sauerkraut. Love 'em both, but they might as well be from different planets as differently as they taste (to me).

KatDad
08-09-2015, 04:57 AM
I'm just curious (because I grew up in a German/Dutch family where caraway was an integral part of flavor to kraut), what is your beef with caraway seed in kraut?

It isn't that I'm trying to be judgmental, or anything, I just have a hard time thinking of sauerkraut without caraway seed in it. I have a passionate dislike for cumin and cilantro, so I can understand that. I just can't imagine a caraway-less kraut. Truth be told, sauerkraut is about the only dish I can think of that I even keep caraway seed around for.

Even though it's not sauerkraut, when I cook cabbage to go with corned beef I add caraway. I serve it with rye bread, also with caraway. I think that's my half German ancestry overwhelming my wee bit of Irish ancestry. :lol:

On the other hand I also like cumin and love the pungency that cilantro gives things. :twocents:
To each his own.

BigO
08-09-2015, 05:57 AM
That's funny, KD. I don't remember ever serving bread with a kraut dish. To each, his own indeed.

My mom served bread with every meal, as did my wife's family. Neither family ate as much meat as we do, so I suppose it was to stretch the budget. Never asked them about it and never heard them offer an explanation. The chances are pretty good that if I'm serving bread with a meal, it either means we're having sandwiches or there's a sauce that greatly requires sopping (like BBQ shrimp, which comes immediately to mind).

To be painfully honest, I never really thought about it before now. And, being a cook, that is something I probably should have taken into consideration when planning a meal in the first place. Funny enough, bread has always been an afterthought with me and planning a meal. Given my upbringing, I find that fact particularly entertaining.

To me, cumin smells like dirty armpits and cilantro tastes soapy. Phil had me try a sauce he made that had cilantro in it last night. to him, he couldn't really taste the cilantro in it. Cilantro was the first taste I experienced when trying it and the leaves kept crunching between my teeth for about ten minutes after I took the bite. I guess everyone has spice flavors they don't like. I can tolerate cumin in Skyline Chili, and I didn't think cilantro was too pronounced in my salsas, but they are two flavors that I just normally hate.

KatDad
08-09-2015, 08:37 AM
I was referring to my standard corned beef based meal. It includes a corned beef brisket done in a crock pot slow cooker then sliced, coarsely chopped cabbage steamed with caraway and just a splash of apple cider vinegar when serving, boiled new potatoes, and finally seeded rye bread & butter. :yum:

With the leftovers; corned beef, cabbage, and bread, I make cold sammiches of corned beef slices, cabbage and coarse mustard on the rye bread. :u:

BigO
08-09-2015, 10:39 AM
It sounds very tasty, KD.

TommyBB
08-09-2015, 10:42 AM
I like the Claussen just fine, Vlasic makes 'kraut, but it tastes like pickles. I don't eat pickles, but Mrs. does. AND, like Micheleen Og Flynn...when I want Kraut, I want Kraut, and when I want pickles well...never minds.

We love kraut, almost by itself. I take smoke sausage, yes, you read that correctly, smoke sausage, start it off, then add the drained 'kraut, with some garlic powder, sliced onions (as thin as the cabbage,) a little celery salt, and let it cook down.

It's like, a meal in itself.

BigO
08-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Preach it, Brother T. We like it with the sausage, onions, granny smith apples, caraway and the kraut. I know you've eaten this with us and Kelley liked it all the same (or so she said). Family recipe, never measured but damned tasty. Her recipe for sauerbraten is among the best I have ever had. Incredibly, it comes out of Betty Crocker's cookbook, but it is wicked good.

KatDad
08-09-2015, 12:41 PM
I like the Claussen just fine, Vlasic makes 'kraut, but it tastes like pickles. I don't eat pickles, but Mrs. does. AND, like Micheleen Og Flynn...when I want Kraut, I want Kraut, and when I want pickles well...never minds.

We love kraut, almost by itself. I take smoke sausage, yes, you read that correctly, smoke sausage, start it off, then add the drained 'kraut, with some garlic powder, sliced onions (as thin as the cabbage,) a little celery salt, and let it cook down.

It's like, a meal in itself.

Good post! Bonus points for The Quiet Man reference. :u:

BigO
08-09-2015, 01:35 PM
Tommy's the only Sicillian Irishman you'll ever meet.

I mean that with love, T.

flipflop
08-09-2015, 01:54 PM
Tommy's the only Sicillian Irishman you'll ever meet.

So THAT'S why he adds a can of Guinness to his pasta sauce. :rofl:

Smokestack Jack
08-10-2015, 06:36 AM
I was referring to my standard corned beef based meal. It includes a corned beef brisket done in a crock pot slow cooker then sliced, coarsely chopped cabbage steamed with caraway and just a splash of apple cider vinegar when serving, boiled new potatoes, and finally seeded rye bread & butter. :yum:

With the leftovers; corned beef, cabbage, and bread, I make cold sammiches of corned beef slices, cabbage and coarse mustard on the rye bread. :u:

I love cooked cabbage and rye bread w/caraway seeds. But, for whatever reason, I dislike kraut very much! :puke:

Churchill
08-10-2015, 07:44 AM

I just don't like it. That simple. I dislike the flavor and I dislike the texture of a hard seed in an otherwise soft dish. Your question got me thinking, and there are very few foods I dislike to the point that I will consciously avoid them.

BigO
08-10-2015, 08:27 AM
I just don't like it. That simple. I dislike the flavor and I dislike the texture of a hard seed in an otherwise soft dish. Your question got me thinking, and there are very few foods I dislike to the point that I will consciously avoid them.

Very much agreed. Cumin and cilantro are two of the reasons I avoid Tex-Mex food.

Churchill
08-10-2015, 12:43 PM
Very much agreed. Cumin and cilantro are two of the reasons I avoid Tex-Mex food.
Straying a bit off topic, but I'm curious whether you like garam masala/curry type dishes? I made some cocoanut milk braised curry beef short ribs that were simply killer. It had cumin but it plays a supporting role...very background.

Here is the recipe if you're interested. And you should be...

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2011/07/coconut-milk-red-curry-beef-short-ribs.html

BigO
08-10-2015, 02:03 PM
I'm not the fan of Indian Food that my wife is. I can empty my spice cabinet into a Dutch oven and make a passable Indian dish. The overdose of spices gives me indigestion. K can eat that stuff all day long and not suffer a bit. If I go to an Indian buffet for lunch, I'm on the throne the rest of the day with "ring of fire" syndrome.

I much prefer Thai or Malaysian dishes with the contrasts of spices and textures. Crunchy, soft, salty, hot and sweet. That's a good meal to me. I will very sparingly make an Indian dish for her. Most of the time, beyond tasting it, I won't eat much of it. The gastric distress just isn't worth it.