PDA

View Full Version : Let me start some crap....whats your fav charcoal?

stogie5150
03-05-2015, 03:49 AM
I am in the process of rehabbing my Dad's old homemade charcoal grill. Since the advent of propane/natural gas, I haven't lit a fire in almost 20 years...so here we go, you BBQ fiends....tell me what to use...Kingsford, Royal Oak, Lump, Briquettes, real wood, chopped up politicians, what?

(I'll be using a chimney to light it, no lighter fluid)

gumby
03-05-2015, 04:08 AM
I use real wood, usually oak, sometimes Mesquite.

BigO
03-05-2015, 04:17 AM
Keith, I use Kingsford Blue for grilling and generally Kroger store brand natural lump for smoking. Lump burns hotter with less ash than briquettes, which some people complain of an additive taste in. I know you don't have Kroger down there, but I'll bet that you have a grocery chain that has their own brand (they are all made by the same company) that is reasonably priced. Memorial day and Labor Day weekends Home Despot runs a huge sale on Kingsford at a ridiculously low price. I generally stock up for summer and winter by picking up 200 lbs at at time, but I grill several times weekly. If you can't find a grosto store brand, lump charcoal is available seasonally at both HD and Wal-Mart.

So basically, what charcoal you use depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a quickly-seared steak, I'd use lump. If you are doing burgers directly or chicken indirectly, I'd use your favorite briquette on one side of the grill.

Honestly, I dropped the chimney ages ago. For $20 at Harbor Freight, you can buy what is called a weed burner (http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html). It's basically a propane-powered flame-thrower. I can have a pile of briquettes ready to cook in less than 5 minutes with one and there is absolutely no chemical taste. Can't even get a gas grill hot that quickly. Plus, it's fun and rather cool. I use a charcoal basket in my offset smoker and after I've used the flamethrower to clean the grates (takes just a few minutes to burn the old schmutz off), I turn it on the charcoal for about two minutes and go in and prep my meat. By the time I've prepped my meat, the fire is at about 250 degrees (or more) and ready to cook. Much faster and easier than a chimney for about the same price. If you must go with a chimney, buy the Weber. Best one in quality and endurance.

Churchill
03-05-2015, 05:36 AM
Royal Oak lump. Wal Mart or Menard's.

TommyBB
03-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Charbroiled oysters to be prepared on this very grill in April.

KatDad
03-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Right now Costco has Kingsford 100% All Natural Competition Briquets for $4.30 off of two 18 lb bags, limit 3. I'll definitely limit. :u:

Briandg
03-05-2015, 01:11 PM
I collect natural old growth sugar maple from the ozarks woods. I cut it into chunks and feed it into a fire pit. light it with old papers, keep it stirred real well, and keep the flames down. When I have a very hot and handy bed of coals, I let it burn for about a half hour, a little less, then I completely cover it with ashes, and a bunch of ceramic tiles. at the end of the day, I dig it all out (carefully so as not to disturb the charcoal, soak it down, and then lay it out in the sun for a few days to completely dry it out.

If I don't have the time to do that, I use kingsford.

jeepdad
03-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Kingsford, Blue Label. Like Jason, I too have a flame thrower and love it. But the chimney comes in handy too for when I need to do a lot of prep. You can't go wrong with Kingsford.

--Dan

stogie5150
03-06-2015, 04:10 AM
Thanks Y'all. I was already leaning towards Royal Oak/Kingsford....y'all sealed it for me. :notworthy:

Jas, I already bought the Weber chimney, I have a Weber Natural Gas Grill, as long as I can afford it I will always buy Weber equipment.

I am trying to get away from using any fuel, I hate keeping up with which tank is empty, which one is full, do I have enough gas to do this job, etc, So I will likely skip the weed burner. If I need quick heat I have a gas grill for that. This charcoal is for when I want to take my time and enjoy what I am doing, instead of just banging out some roasted flesh of some kind. :yum:

BigO
03-06-2015, 04:25 AM
I understand, Keith and I share your devotion to the quality of Weber producdts. I've had a bout a dozen grills over the years, both gas and charcoal. The Weber Performer I have now has outlasted them all. I don't own a gasser, so the chimney is less efficient for me than the weed burner. Every griller has his own goals and his own specialities.

OregonDuck
03-06-2015, 06:26 AM
Mesquite Lump is my favorite

monteman
03-06-2015, 07:15 AM
I understand, Keith and I share your devotion to the quality of Weber producdts. I've had a bout a dozen grills over the years, both gas and charcoal. The Weber Performer I have now has outlasted them all. I don't own a gasser, so the chimney is less efficient for me than the weed burner. Every griller has his own goals and his own specialities.

Have a S/S Weber gas grill with a smoker and side burner. I always love to get the latest in things but I have no excuse / reason to replace this grill after 8 years. Anything that goes bad (the ignitors, flavorizer bars, etc), Weber sends replacements (fair prices) and the grill still looks and works like new. While YMMV, Weber products AND customer service are excellent.

red
03-07-2015, 07:55 AM
I happened to see a bag of Stubbs somewhere last spring, and picked it up. I really liked it. I'm not very schooled on charcoal, but it seemed to cook well and we all liked the flavor. I do think it was a little harder to get going well. :twocents:

jgbutler
03-07-2015, 09:16 AM
For just everyday grilling and putting some quick dinner on the table after work, I've got a Weber Genesis gas grill and love it. It cooks circles around any other gas grill I have ever owned.

As for the Green Egg, I usually either use Royal Oak lump or Big Green Egg lump charcoal. I like the BGE better but is a little pricier. It has less smaller chunks and leaves way less ash to deal with. I do miss firing up a good charcoal grill with a beverage and a cigar for some enjoyable leisure time grilling though. I have been considering for the last couple of years getting a Weber Kettle for just that purpose. This spring might just be the time for that!

Briandg
03-07-2015, 10:08 AM
Jack daniels is missing a really big opportunity by not packaging a JD charcoal briquette. They sell barbecue sauce and other things, why not?

Personally, the idea of charcoal cooking with the leavings of a vat of bourbon doesn't appeal to me, but a charcoal that is "made with charcoal steeped in genuine tennessee whiskey" means very little. Sending the remainders to the kingsford plant, for example, and having it fed into the line at maybe a 20% ratio to the plain charred waste would qualify it legally, add some aromatics, and add 20-50% to the retail value.

they do the same thing with mesquite sawdust, right? mesquite charcoal sells in a 5 pound bag at extrtionate prices?

BigO
03-07-2015, 10:48 AM
Jack does sell barrel chips for smokingandI believe that I've seen 5 pound bags of briquettes at the store as well. Very expensive and must be made out of the barrels they couldn't sell to Scotland.

mshade
03-08-2015, 09:42 AM
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Good site to compare lump charcoal.

TommyBB
03-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Jack does sell barrel chips for smokingandI believe that I've seen 5 pound bags of briquettes at the store as well. Very expensive and must be made out of the barrels they couldn't sell to Scotland.

...or to cut in half to turn into planters.
I've seen their stuff, too.