PDA

View Full Version : It's Cold, Soup Anyone?

jeepdad
02-15-2015, 09:40 AM
It's dang cold out. Anyone have a hearty wintertime go-to soup? Recipe? I have a good potato soup and several good chili recipes but looking for something different. Thanks

--Dan

Baked Potato Soup

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
• 2/3 cup butter
• 2/3 cup flour
• 7 cups milk
• 4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed, about 4 cups
• 4 green onions, thinly sliced
• 10 to 12 strips bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
• 1 1/4 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
• 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preparation:
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour; stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Add potatoes and onions. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted. Serve baked potato soup immediately.

This baked potato soup recipe serves 6 to 8.

I also added a little of the bacon drippings to the butter and flour mixture for extra flavor. I saved a little of the crumbled bacon and grated cheese to top the soup in the bowl.

grtrx
02-15-2015, 09:51 AM
chickpeas
chicken stock
onion
garlic
carrot
celery
olive oil
ham
smoked sausage
chorizo or pepperoni

chop the veg in a food processor or blender, saute in a pan with the olive oil

add chickpeas (if dried, after soaking and draining; if canned drain then add). Cover with chickenstock, Simmer, add sausage and ham after 30-60 minutes, add more stock if needed. Cook 30-90 minutes. Taste and correct seasoning (hot sauce or chili garlic sauce go well at this point).

when ready to serve consider running a cup or so of peas through a food processor or blender and then adding back to pot as a thickener.

I didn't add amounts, this is a cook what you got/want kind of recipe. It is kind of sort of a variation on Galician stew

If you want start with pork neck bones, brown them then add to soup at start, cook the soup long enough to cook the bones. Debone the meat before serving.

jeepdad
02-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Hmmm, sounds interesting.

--Dan

jazznut
02-15-2015, 11:45 AM
I'm getting hungry reading these recipes! :yum:

I regularly save'n'freeze leftover meats (osso-buco is really good), bones and veggies for making soup. Nothing quite like a homemade broth with lots of goodies in it to warm the cockles. But time is sometimes an issue. When I find myself needing a quick fix soup-wise, I often revert to the following recipe...

Puréed butternut squash
Yogurt and a bit of cream
Tumeric, paprika and ground cardamom
Freshly grated ginger
A pinch of salt
Lemon zest and the juice of ½ a lemon (stir in the juice at the very end of the cooking process)
Finely chopped pepper of choice, such as habañero, Scotch bonnet and/or jalapeño, to taste
Optional: Cooked chick peas and/or finely chopped fresh coriander and/or blanched kale (add at the very end of the cooking process to maintain texture and colour)
Water as required to achieve a medium-thick consistency

A warm-you-up vegetarian soup that's also great served chilled in the summertime.

jeepdad
02-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Doug, that recipe sounds good as well. I have a freezer full of homemade chicken stock but saving it for when I make my 5-7 gallon run of smoked turkey and sausage gumbo. I made the recipe below a few weeks back and it was a hit even with the kids. Thanks for sharing.

--Dan

Zuppa Toscana

Servings: 4-6

Ingredients

1 lb Italian sausage ( I like mild sausage)
2 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in half, and then in 1/4 inch slices
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup bacon bits
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups kale or 2 cups swiss chard, chopped
2 (8 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 quart water
1 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions
1.Chop or slice uncooked sausage into small pieces.
2.Brown sausage in your soup pot.
3.Add chicken broth and water to pot and stir.
4.Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in the pot.
5.Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done.
6.Add bacon.
7.Salt and pepper to taste.
8.Simmer for another 10 minutes.
9.Turn to low heat.
10.Add kale and cream.
11.Heat through and serve.

gumby
02-15-2015, 01:14 PM
I'm not a soup guy but these sure sound good.

flipflop
02-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Basil Tomato Soup

2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth (Make it with Wyler’s granules)
18 fresh basil leaves, minced (Or 3 Tbls dried basil)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup whipping cream (or ½ cup each half/half and cream)
6 Tbls butter

Optional: Add some sautéed onions.

In a large saucepan, bring the tomatoes and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add garlic, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil and sugar. Reduce heat to low; stir in cream and butter. Cook until butter is melted.

flipflop
02-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Split Pea Soup-Australian Style

1 Tbls olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onions
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbls chopped garlic (I use 1 ½ )
1 bay leaf
1 pound dried green split peas, picked over and rinsed
8 cups chicken broth (I use Wyler’s granules to make this)
1 cup milk
Hot Sauce
¾ - I pound pre-cooked smoked beef sausage

In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onions. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, and split peas and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes, until the peas are tender. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Add the milk and, using a hand-held immersion blender, process until smooth. (Or use regular blender, doing the soup in batches.) Add the hot sauce. Heat sausage, add to soup and serve hot.

flipflop
02-16-2015, 10:56 AM
TUSCAN WHITE BEAN SOUP
(serves 2)

2 slices bacon, minced
1 small carrot, peeled and chopped fine
1 small onion, minced (about ½ cup)
¼ tsp dried rosemary
¼ tsp kosher salt
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ¾ cups chicken broth
¼ cup water
1 (15 oz can) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
Optional: 3 oz frozen leaf spinach (thawed and water squeezed out) or fresh spinach (chopped)

Fry bacon in large saucepan over med-low heat until beginning to brown. Add onion, carrot and pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are softened and lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in broth, water beans, spinach (if using) and the ¼ tsp of kosher salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until mixture has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

BigJohn
02-16-2015, 11:16 AM
you gotta plan ahead for this one - it's my mom's grandmother's ham and bean soup.
You need a good ham bone with a decent amount of leftover ham on it...

Soak a bag of navy beans over night in lightly salted water, sort through for stones and stuff.

cut any large pieces of meat off the ham bone and chop or shred them. you want about 2 cups of meat.
throw ham fat into the bottom of a stock pot.
add about tablespoon of oil and heat low until the fat renders a bit.
add 4 cups chopped celery and 2 cup diced onions
saute veg until onions are just softening.
Remove veg and hold.
Add bone, 1/2 cup each onions, celery, carrot and cover with ~4-5qt water.
Bring to a boil, add 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp sage, 1 tsp cracked black pepper.
Boil, covered, about 2 hours to make stock.

Remove bone and strain stock into another stockpot.
Add strained stock back to the original pot, add beans and previously sauted celery and onions.
Add one 16oz can of diced tomatoes.
salt and pepper to taste.
Cook till beans are firm but tender, stirring often.

mannish
02-17-2015, 09:49 AM
I made Sausage and chicken gumbo last night - prefect weather for it

Herf
02-17-2015, 03:37 PM
No real recipe but the end of my pot roast is going to end up in beef and barley soup. I'll use the rest of the cooking broth and add some veggies, spices and some more canned broth. Maybe another shot of the wine I used in the cooking broth.

jazznut
02-17-2015, 06:16 PM
Maybe another shot of the wine I used in the cooking broth.
I've always found that caramelized onions and mushrooms sautéed with Madeira take just about any meat-based soup to an entirely different flavour level.
:yum:

jeepdad
02-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Man these recipes sound delicious. Thank you everyone! I made a smothered pork roast over smashed potatoes for supper last night...it was good. It is from my favorite chef, Donald Link. It is a pork roast roasted in an onion roux. Some pics below.

--Dan

http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6638

jazznut
02-18-2015, 03:10 PM
Looks simply delectable, Dan. :u:

I like the citrus at the last minute. A little citrus brightens up the flavour of most anything, not to mention being a healthy addition.

BigO
02-19-2015, 08:35 AM
Doug, try roasting the squash before pureeing it. Cut it into cubes and by all, means, line your pan with foil and veggie spray the hell out of it before you add the squash and put it in the oven. Takes it to a whole new flavor level.

jazznut
02-19-2015, 10:47 AM
J., I do that with squash (of various sorts) as well as with turnip and sweet potatos when I'm serving them as a side dish, though I usually toss the cubes in a bit of sesame oil and sprinkle them with spices (such as coarse sea salt, ground cayenne and nutmeg) before roasting. Love the caramelization!

But when I'm in a rush to make soup, good old frozen butternut squash speeds up the prep time considerably. I simply microwave the squash before moving on to the following steps, and can have a soup ready in 15 minutes or less.

gumby
02-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Had a wild mushroom soup at our restaurant today, it was fantastic.

jazznut
02-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Fresh pasta in a wild mushroom, white wine and cream sauce usually does it for me. :yum:

jeepdad
02-20-2015, 03:19 AM
It's minus 3 degrees this morning (Friday)! I know there are colder places but minus three is atypical for this area. So minus three simply means it's damn cold. It's 6 am where's the coffee! Stay warm my friends.

The silver lining is I will be at my LCS this evening with good friends herfing the evening away.

--Dan

BigJohn
02-20-2015, 07:12 AM
17 degrees here.
So cold the ice maker in the garage refrigerator won't make ice (no, the line is insulated and won't freeze...).
So last night I have the son pick up some ice on the way home from work.
He gets the super jumbo bag.
Fill both fridge ice buckets, and there is like 1/3 of a bag left. Put it on the floor of the garage.

It's still there, unmelted.

Damn that's cold.

HerfManiac
02-20-2015, 04:43 PM
About two or three weeks ago I made chicken soup. Can't get much simpler than this:

One whole chicken, not cut into pieces.
Celery, about 1 cup or so sliced
Carrots, about 1 cup or so sliced
One whole medium white onion

Drop the chicken into the soup pot. Dice up some celery, carrots, and onion and add that to the pot. Add enough salt and pepper to taste. Cover with water, and bring to boil. Cover and simmer until chicken is falling off of the bones. Allow to cool and separate the meat from the bones, tossing the meat back into the pot. Eat.