PDA

View Full Version : Lord help me, but I love the smell of caramelizing onions

BigO
09-25-2014, 07:18 AM
Trying out a new recipe tonight of an olive oil potato gratin. Contains no dairy at all. One of the things it does call for is a bunch of caramelized onions, which I'm doing well in advance.

Is there any really greater smell in the world then onions caramelizing in bacon fat? If there is, I can't name it right now.

grtrx
09-25-2014, 08:04 AM
add red peppers and shallot to it... a touch better

BigO
09-25-2014, 08:14 AM
Only supposed to hit 75 here today. I've opened up the whole house to let the entire area smell this good.

For the moment, there aren't the sounds of lawnmowers, leaf blowers or chainsaws in the neighborhood. Might as well be Christmas, it's so quiet.

spiridon
09-25-2014, 08:30 AM
:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:!

BigJohn
09-25-2014, 08:31 AM
Awesome.
A potato gratain without dairy? what now?

BigO
09-25-2014, 08:53 AM
It uses yukon gold potatoes, coats them in salt, pepper, thyme and good olive oil and then layers them in between a layer of caramelized onions. A little chicken broth for moisture, covered and baked for an hour @ 400. Then you top it with a panko, peccorino romano and olive oil (with a little more pepper and thyme) topping and bake it again for 15 minutes @ 400. Just curious enough to try it with the good (read: expensive) oil.

Churchill
09-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Is there any really greater smell in the world then onions caramelizing in bacon fat?
I don't think so. Recipe sounds nice. Let us know what you think of the results.

gumby
09-25-2014, 09:31 AM
Yum

KatDad
09-25-2014, 09:37 AM
It uses yukon gold potatoes, coats them in salt, pepper, thyme and good olive oil and then layers them in between a layer of caramelized onions. A little chicken broth for moisture, covered and baked for an hour @ 400. Then you top it with a panko, peccorino romano and olive oil (with a little more pepper and thyme) topping and bake it again for 15 minutes @ 400. Just curious enough to try it with the good (read: expensive) oil.

:drool: Sounds absolutely wonderful. :u:

Briandg
09-25-2014, 12:12 PM
No, probably not a damned thing in my opinion than smelling the onions as they start to brown.

Herf
09-25-2014, 06:02 PM

Obviously an Italian recipe as the Irish don't know what olive oil is and wouldn't screw up a good potato with cheese and bread crumbs.

Substitute a lot of butter for the olive oil and the Irish and French would be happy with the dish. The French might add some bread crumbs but it wouldn't be panko.

fvfanmc
09-26-2014, 05:32 AM
The only thing better than the way they smell, is the way they taste.

flipflop
09-26-2014, 05:41 AM
You list great Irish recipes on a one side of a 3x5 card and great Irish chefs on the back of a postage stamp.

:rofl:

Illinoisboy
09-26-2014, 11:12 AM
The smell of roasting garlic is wonderful as well.

Herf
09-28-2014, 05:15 AM
You list great Irish recipes on a one side of a 3x5 card and great Irish chefs on the back of a postage stamp.

:rofl:

Are you going to argue with the Irish over potatoes?

Things have changed in Ireland. It is one of the up and coming culinary scenes. They are starting to eat the food there instead of exporting it.